You can prevent shigellosis by:
- washing hands carefully
- keeping ill children home from daycare and preschool
- using caution when swimming
Minimizing Your Risk
- Wash hands after using the bathroom and changing diapers, and before
handling or eating any food.
- Wash hands before preparing food for yourself or others.
- Make sure that persons with diarrhea, especially children, wash their
hands carefully and frequently with soap to reduce the risk of spreading
Wash Your Hands!
- Children should not attend daycare or preschool with diarrhea.
- Children and adults may be subject to certain restrictions from daycare/preschool or food service when they are ill with a diarrheal illness.
Restrictions on Child Care Attendance for Children or Staff in a Daycare or Preschool
- Avoid swallowing lake or pool water while swimming.
- Anyone with a diarrheal illness should avoid swimming in public pools
or lakes, sharing baths with others, and preparing food for others.
- Healthy Swimming
CDC; Contains information on recreational waterborne illnesses. Attention: Non-MDH link
Do you suspect that you have a foodborne illness? Visit reporting suspected foodborne illnesses.