Syphilis Information for Health Care Professionals
Information specific to health care providers regarding guidelines, treatment, testing, and reporting.
ALERT: Penicillin Shortage (Updated 05/2017)
- STD Surveillance Case Definitions: Syphilis Case Definition: CDC
Current case definition for Syphilis (Treponema pallidum).
Aid to diagnosis
- Syphilis: Aid to Diagnosis
These images are intended to help health care professionals identify and diagnose syphilis. We do not suggest proceeding unless you are a health care professional who needs to see such images.
- STD Treatment Guidelines: CDC
Guidelines for treatment of persons who have or are at risk for sexually transmitted diseases.
- The STD Treatment Guidelines are also available as a mobile app for download on both Apple and Android. Check out your device’s app store for more information.
- Syphilis Testing and Treatment Protocol (PDF)
Sample protocol to aid in diagnosing and caring for patients with syphilis.
Working with specific populations
- Syphilis, Healthcare and Women
MDH guidance on syphilis in women.
- Syphilis, Healthcare and Men who Have Sex With Men
Important information for health professionals on working with gay and bisexual men.
Clinical Advisory: Ocular Syphilis in the United States: CDC
CDC information for clinicians about ocular syphilis and screening for visual complaints in any patient at risk for syphilis.
Increase in Incidence of Congenital Syphilis — United States, 2012–2014: CDC
CDC MMWR, November 13, 2015.
Congenital Syphilis: Dear Colleague Letter: CDC (PDF)
Letter introducing and summarizing the November 13, 2015 MMWR.
- Reporting Syphilis (lab-confirmed cases)
Lab-confirmed cases of Syphilis (Treponema pallidum) must be reported to MDH within one working day.
- Syphilis 101 Refresher: MDH
Short refresher course on syphilis with messages for clients testing for HIV.
- Self Study Syphilis Modules: CDC
Web-based training designed to guide clinicians in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of syphilis. Continuing education credits available.
- Ready to Use Syphilis Curriculum: CDC
Comprehensive curricular materials for Clinical Educators that can be downloaded for classroom use. Each module contains a slide presentation, an instructor's guide, a case study, and test questions.
Clinical Syphilis Diagnostic and Treatment Webinar Series
Free two-part webinar series co-sponsored by the Minnesota Department of Health and the University of Washington STD Prevention Training Center.
- Refugee Health Exam
MDH recommendations regarding examination and STD screenings completed in the state of a refugee's initial arrival in the United States
- Reducing Syphilis Rates: A Health Care Provider's Role
This CDC video walks health care providers through the three key actions that they can take to help reverse the rising syphilis rates: Talk, Test, and Treat.