Nongonococcal Urethritis (NGU) (caused by various organisms other than gonorrhea): Sexually Transmitted Disease Facts
Download PDF versions of this fact sheet, formatted for print:
Signs and Symptoms
Most women and some men have no symptoms
- Begin 1-3 weeks after exposure
- Clear, yellow or white pus from the penis
- Discharge or burning of the vagina
- Burning or pain during urination
NGU is Spread by:
- Vaginal sex
- Oral sex
- Anal sex
- Infected mother to newborn
If left untreated, NGU can:
- Spread to sex partners
- Lead to more serious infection
- Damage reproductive organs
- Lead to infertility in men and women
During pregnancy, NGU germs can:
- Be passed from a mother to her baby during childbirth.
- Cause eye infection or pneumonia in infants.
- Avoiding vaginal, oral or anal sex is the best way to prevent STDs.
- Always use latex condoms, consistently and correctly, during vaginal and anal sex.
- Use a latex condom for oral sex on a penis.
- Use a latex barrier (dental dam or condom cut in half) for oral sex on a vagina or anus.
- Limit the number of sex partners.
- Notify sex partners immediately if infected.
- Make sure sex partners are tested and treated at the same time to prevent re-infection.
Testing and Treatment
- Get a test from a medical provider if infection is suspected.
- NGU can be cured using medication prescribed by medical provider.
- Partners should be treated at same time.
NOTE: A person can be re-infected after treatment.
For more information, contact:
STD, HIV and TB Section
Minnesota Department of Health
Minnesota Family Planning and STD Hotline
1-800-783-2287 Voice/TTY; 651-645-9360 (Metro)
CDC National STD and AIDS Hotlines
1-800-CDC-INFO; 1-888-232-6348 TTY
Content Notice: This site contains HIV or STD prevention messages that may not be appropriate for all audiences. Since HIV and other STDs are spread primarily through sexual practices or by sharing needles, prevention messages and programs may address these topics. If you are not seeking such information or may be offended by such materials, please exit this web site.