Varicella Information for Health Professionals
Health care worker immunity
- Ensuring Immunity to Varicella in Health Care Workers
Information for making sure health care workers are immune to varicella.
Clinical features and epidemiology
- Chickenpox (Varicella): For Health Care Professionals
Information about chickenpox from the CDC for health care professionals. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Varicella: Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (PDF)
Varicella chapter in the CDC's Pink Book on vaccine-preventable diseases, 11th Edition (May 2009). Attention: Non-MDH link
- Chickenpox (Varicella): Photos
The CDC offers links to sites with photographs of people with varicella. Attention: Non-MDH link. Warning: Graphic medical images.
- Laboratory Testing for Varicella (Chickenpox) and Zoster (Shingles) (PDF)
Information on when and how to test for varicella or zoster disease.
- Reporting All Cases of Varicella
Information for clinicians on case-based reporting for varicella. All cases of varicella are required to be reported to MDH.
Varicella or Zoster Disease
Find out who should report varicella or zoster to the Minnesota Department of Health, which forms to use, and when to call.
Form for Chickenpox and Shingles Cases in Schools
School data will help MDH determine trends, duration, and transmission patterns, and any association between cases and immunization or disease history.
- Varicella Vaccine Product Information and VIS
Attention: Non-MDH links
Generic nameManufacturerPrescribing informationVIS
Measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (MMRV) Merck ProQuad Chickenpox Vaccine: What You Need to Know Varicella (Var) Merck Varivax
- Ask the Experts: Varicella Vaccine
Experts from the CDC answer challenging questions about vaccines and their administration. Attention: Non-MDH link
Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)
ACIP Recommendations and MMWR reports
- ACIP Recommendations: Prevention of Varicella
June 22, 2007 recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Attention: Non-MDH link
- MMWR Publications on Varicella
Articles published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report on varicella. Attention: Non-MDH link