Antimicrobial Stewardship Programs (ASP)
Antimicrobial stewardship is a coordinated program that promotes the appropriate use of antimicrobials (including antibiotics), improves patient outcomes, reduces microbial resistance, and decreases the spread of infections caused by multidrug-resistant organisms.
For Long-Term Care
- Minnesota Antimicrobial Stewardship Program Toolkit for Long-term Care Facilities
- Minnesota Sample Antibiotic Stewardship Policy for Long-Term Care Facilities (PDF) | (Word)
- CDC: Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes
For Acute Care
- Minnesota Guide to a Comprehensive Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (PDF)
This guide includes infrastructure, strategies, and resources for developing an antimicrobial stewardship program.
- CDC: Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs
- CDC: Get Smart for Healthcare
CDC's campaign focused on improving prescribing practices in inpatient health care facilities.