Excluding Athletes from Competition or Practice
When should an athlete be referred to a health care provider?
- Any lesion, sore, or rash on the skin you are concerned about, especially those that are red, swollen, or draining fluid.
- The athlete also has other signs of illness such as fever or vomiting.
- Multiple athletes have similar symptoms.
When should an athlete be excluded from competition or practice?
- When the athlete has any concerning lesion, sore, or rash until evaluated by a health care provider.
- In general, if an athlete has an infection with fluid draining from the wound and participates in sport with a lot of skin-to-skin contact, they should be excluded until the infection is healed.
When can an athlete return to competition or practice?
- Consult with the athlete’s health care provider and specific sports league rules.