Illness-Related Restrictions for Food Workers, and for Children or Staff in a Daycare or Preschool Setting
Children and adults may be subject to certain restrictions from daycare/preschool or food service when they are ill with a diarrheal illness.
- Information for Childcare and Daycare: Foodborne and Diarrheal Illness
Diarrhea (loose stools) is a common symptom of several infections that can be easily spread to other daycare children or staff.
- If you are a food service worker who has been diagnosed with a foodborne illness, please call the MDH Foodborne Illness Hotline at 1-877-FOOD-ILL (1-877-366-3455).
- Exclusions and Restrictions
Minnesota Rule 4626.0045 2-201.12. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Illness Reporting for Foodservice Fact Sheet
Fact sheet for food workers and food managers. This fact sheet is available for download in five languages (English, Spanish, Somali, Hmong, Chinese).
- Foodworker Illness Awareness
Workers who prepare food while experiencing diarrhea and/or vomiting are frequently linked to foodborne illness outbreaks in restaurants and other retail food outlets. As a food manager or worker you have a responsibility to protect yourself and your guests from foodborne illness.
- Information on controlling outbreaks of gastroenteritis at schools and long-term care facilities is available from MDH. Please call 1-877-FOODILL (or 1-877-366-3455) to request materials.