Roles and Responsibilities:
Public Health Respiratory Protection Program Template
The Respiratory Program Administrator is responsible for administering the respiratory protection program.
Duties of the RPA include:
- Identify work areas, processes, or tasks that require respiratory protection.
- Monitor OSHA policy and standards for changes and make changes to agency’s policy
- Select respiratory protection products.
- Monitor respirator use to ensure that respirators are used in accordance with their certification.
- Distribute and evaluate education/medical questionnaire.
- Evaluate any feedback information or surveys.
- Arrange for and/or conduct training and fit testing.
- Ensure proper storage and maintenance of respiratory protection equipment.
The Supervisor for the respiratory protection program may also be the Respiratory Program Administrator. Supervisors are responsible for ensuring that the respiratory protection program is implemented in their particular units.
In addition to being knowledgeable about the program requirements for their own protection, Supervisors must also ensure that the program is understood and followed by the employees under their charge.
Duties of the Supervisor include:
- Knowing the hazards in the area in which they work.
- Knowing types of respirators that need to be used.
- Ensuring the respirator program and worksite procedures are followed.
- Enforcing/encouraging staff to use required respirators.
- Ensuring employees receive training and medical evaluations.
- Coordinating annual retraining and/or fit testing.
- Notifying ______________ (example: RPA, Public Health Supervisor, employer’s name, human resources person) with any problems with respirator use, or changes in work processes that would impact airborne contaminant levels.
- Ensure proper storage and maintenance of all respirators.
- Participate in all training.
- Wear respirator when indicated.
- Maintain equipment.
- Report malfunctions or concerns.
- Responsibilities may vary with your Local Public Health Department