What to report
Legionellosis (Legionella spp.) must be reported to MDH within one working day (24 hours of the first positive Legionella spp. test result).
- Legionellosis includes Legionnaire’s Disease and Pontiac Fever.
- Report all cases with positive Legionella spp. test results, including urine antigen, culture, paired serology, direct specimen DFA and direct specimen PCR.
- Legionellosis Case Definitions, CDC
Case definition from CDC's National Notifiable Disease Surveillance System (NNDSS) for Legionellosis.
How to report Legionellosis
- Legionellosis Case Report Form
This form is used to report Legionellosis (Legionella spp.) to the Minnesota Department of Health.
Any reportable infectious disease may be reported by phone to 651-201-5414 or 877-676-5414.
Submitting clinical materials
For Legionellosis, submission of clinical materials (Legionella isolate, if available) to MDH is required by rule.
- Clinical Materials
Clinical materials must be submitted according to these guidelines.
- MLS Laboratory Update: Requesting Lower Respiratory Tract Specimens to Culture for Confirmed or Suspected Legionnaires’ Disease Cases (PDF)
MDH requests that laboratories submit lower respiratory tract specimens from urine antigen positive cases to the MDH Public Health Laboratory for Legionella culture, if indicated.
Who is required to report
- Health care practitioners (health care facilities, medical laboratories, and in certain circumstances veterinarians and veterinary medical laboratories) are required to report disease to the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) under Minnesota state law.
- Unless previously reported, every licensed health care provider who provides care to any patient who has, is suspected of having, or has died from a reportable disease is required to report.
- Any person in charge of any institution, school, child care facility, or camp is also required to report disease to MDH.
More about Legionellosis
- Legionellosis: Legionnaires' Disease and Pontiac Fever
MDH comprehensive legionellosis resource page.