Reporting Meningitis (caused by viral agents)
What to report
Meningitis (caused by viral agents) must be reported to MDH within one working day.
How to report viral meningitis
- Yellow Disease Report Card
This disease may be reported using the MDH "Yellow Card."
Any reportable infectious disease may be reported by phone to 651-201-5414 or 877-676-5414.
Other reporting: reporting meningitis caused by bacterial agents
- Haemophilus influenzae
- Streptococcus pneumoniae
- Meningococcal Disease (Neisseria meningitidis)
All invasive meningococcal disease (Neisseria meningitidis) must be reported to MDH immediately 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Who is required to report
- Health care practitioners (health care facilities, medical laboratories, and in certain circumstances veterinarians and veterinary medical laboratories) are required to report disease to the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) under Minnesota state law.
- Unless previously reported, every licensed health care provider who provides care to any patient who has, is suspected of having, or has died from a reportable disease is required to report.
- Any person in charge of any institution, school, child care facility, or camp is also required to report disease to MDH.
More about meningitis
MDH meningitis resource page.