What to report
Pertussis (Bordetella pertussis) must be reported to MDH within one working day.
- Pertussis Clinical Information
Basic information on pertussis for health professionals, including epidemiology, communicability, and treatment of cases and contacts.
How to report pertussis
- Pertussis Reporting Form
The Pertussis Reporting Form can be used to report pertussis.
Any reportable infectious disease may be reported by phone to 651-201-5414 or 877-676-5414.
Submitting clinical materials
For Pertussis, submission of clinical materials (isolate, if available) to MDH is required by rule.
- Clinical Materials
Clinical materials must be submitted according to these guidelines.
Who is required to report
- Health care practitioners (health care facilities, medical laboratories, and in certain circumstances veterinarians and veterinary medical laboratories) are required to report disease to the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) under Minnesota state law.
- Unless previously reported, every licensed health care provider who provides care to any patient who has, is suspected of having, or has died from a reportable disease is required to report.
- Any person in charge of any institution, school, child care facility, or camp is also required to report disease to MDH.
More about pertussis
- Pertussis (Bordetella pertussis - whooping cough)
MDH comprehensive pertussis resource page.