Information for Providers
- Expedited partner therapy (EPT) is the practice of treating sex partners of persons with STDs without an intervening clinical exam. The implementation of EPT involves a clinician dispensing medication, or a prescription for medication, directly to their patient to be delivered to his/her sexual partner(s).
- Fluoroquinolones No Longer Recommended to Treat Gonorrhea
MDH no longer recommends the use of fluoroquinolones (e.g. ciprofloxacin) for the treatment of gonococcal infections. MDH lab surveillance data from 2007 indicate high prevalence of quinolone resistance in isolates from heterosexuals (4.5%) as well as gay/bisexual men (28%).
- MDH Dear Colleage Letter on Gonorrhea Treatment, June 2008 (PDF: 39KB/1 page)
- CDC’s Gonorrhea Treatment Guidelines Attention: Non-MDH web link.
- Now Available from Lupin Pharmaceuticals: Cefixime (Suprax®) 400 mg Tablets for Treatment of Gonorrhea
The CDC has announced the availability of oral cefixime (Suprax®) tablets from Lupin Pharmaceuticals for the treatment of uncomplicated urogenital and rectal gonococcal infections. This is the only CDC-recommended gonorrhea treatment available as a single-dose tablet.
Link to MMWR Attention: Non-MDH web link.
CDC Dear Colleague Letter (PDF: 52KB/1 page)
Information on obtaining cefixime tablets is available from Lupin by telephone (866-587-4617).
Increase in syphilis among gay/bisexual men in Minnesota
- HIV/STD/Hepatitis Risk Assessment
Minnesota Department of Health's integrated risk assessment tool for health and social service providers.
- CDC STD Treatment Guidelines
- How to Report an STD to MDH
- Communicable Disease Rule, Chapter 4605: with Notations Pertaining to Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- STD Facts: Individual fact sheets for each STD
- Minnesota Chlamydia Strategy
- STD/HIV Partner Services Program
- Clinician resources for working with men who have sex with men (MSM)
- Survey Results: The Use of Expedited Partner Therapy (EPT) in Minnesota
- STD Training Materials, Picture and Clinical Slides
- CDC Case Definitions
- Refugee Health Exam
- Hepatitis B ECHO-TV Program
Videos available in seven languages with information on hepatitis B awareness and prevention
- STD and
HIV Resources in Spanish
Recursos De Enfermedades De Transmision Sexual (ETS)
STD information in Spanish is now available on CDC's web site, including translations of fact sheets, the STD hotline in Spanish, and Spanish STD links.
Content Notice: This site contains HIV or STD prevention messages that may not be appropriate for all audiences. Since HIV and other STDs are spread primarily through sexual practices or by sharing needles, prevention messages and programs may address these topics. If you are not seeking such information or may be offended by such materials, please exit this web site.