MED-X Case Definition
A case is any potential infectious death in a person that falls under Medical Examiner (ME) jurisdiction.
- To determine if it is a potentially infectious death, use these checklists as a guide:
- Death with antemordem signs, symptoms or pathologic syndrome consistent with a possible infectious disease etiology.
- Explained or unexplained.
- Unexplained death in those <50 years of age (i.e. SIDS).
- No infectious hallmark necessary.
- Includes those with or without an autopsy.