Minnesota WAVE Study
About the Minnesota WAVE Study
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) is conducting the Minnesota Water and Virus Evaluation (WAVE) Study. This study will help determine if there is a link between drinking water and germs (like viruses) that might make people sick.
- Monitor – MDH partnered with selected local water utilities to monitor drinking water supplies. We used advanced methods to see if viruses were present in drinking water sources.
- Evaluate – MDH asked people in select communities to help us evaluate if viruses in drinking water are causing illness.
- Inform – The Minnesota WAVE Study will be used to inform future public health actions.
- The Minnesota WAVE Study took place from May 2015 to April 2016. Study results are expected in summer 2017.
- Understanding the relationship between water quality and health will help us determine if viruses present a human health risk in Minnesota drinking water.
How is the study funded?
- The Minnesota WAVE Study is supported by the Clean Water Fund.