Immunization Delivery in Pharmacy Settings
Immunization resources for pharmacists.
On this page:
General Vaccine Information
Pharmacist Immunization Training
Patient Education and Promotion Materials
Storage and Handling Vaccine
Administration and Documentation of Vaccine
- Immunization Resources for Pharmacists (PDF: 31KB/1 page)
Information specific to pharmacists in Minnesota.
- The Pink Book: Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
CDC maintains this textbook covering immunization against all vaccine-preventable diseases. It is available for order and can be accessed online. Attention: Non-MDH link
- For Health Care Providers Serving Adults
Resources to help you make sure adult patients get the immunizations they need.
- Vaccine Information Statements
This page contains VISs for all vaccines. Attention: Non-MDH link
- APhA Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Certification
- University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy Immunization Delivery for Pharmacists Program
Both the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) and the University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy offer ACPE (Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education) accredited courses. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Mark of Excellence
Voluntary, quality assurance program to respond to public concerns about safety of influenza vaccinations in outreach settings (pharmacies, grocery stores, retail sites, and drop-in clinics).
- Got Your Shots? A Providers Guide to Immunizations in Minnesota
Information you need to make sure patients are properly immunized and vaccine is stored correctly. Be sure to use the most up-to-date charts, tables, and schedules, by following the links included with each chapter. Subscribe to receive an email alert every time additions or updates are made to the Providers Guide by clicking the envelope near the top of the page.
- Immunizing Pharmacists News Mailing List
The American Pharmacists Association (APhA) provides subscribers with the latest immunization news for pharmacists bi-weekly. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Minnesota Health Professionals Influenza Information
Provides the latest influenza vaccination, testing, and treatment recommendations and updates on disease activity. Subscribe to receive an email alert when there are major additions or updates for health professionals on influenza by clicking the envelope near the top of the page.
- Minnesota Pharmacists Association (MPhA)
- Minnesota Society of Health-System Pharmacists (MSHP)
Connect to professional pharmacy organizations for immunization educational opportunities. Attention: Non-MDH links
- Vaccines for Adults
Information for adult patients about what vaccines they need, where to find them, and other common questions.
- Vaccines for Adults with Chronic Health Conditions
- Adults with Special Health Conditions Patient Handouts
Pharmacists can play a unique role in identifying and educating individuals with chronic health conditions about the vaccines they need. Attention: Non-MDH links
- A Providers Guide to Immunizations in Minnesota: Managing Vaccine
Guidance on how to keep vaccines viable and patients protected.
- Vaccine Storage Guide
Two-page illustrated guide providing tips for proper storage and management of vaccines.
- Recommendations and Guidelines: Vaccine Storage and Handling
CDC guidelines and comprehensive toolkit on proper vaccine storage and handling. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Immunization Schedules for Adults in Easy-to-read Formats
CDC schedules that contain information on what vaccines your patients need. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Vaccine Protocols
Under Minnesota law, pharmacists can vaccinate populations through obtaining protocols signed by a Minnesota licensed physician prior to vaccine administration. MDH provides templates for writing protocols.
- Screening Questionnaires
Sample screening questionnaires, from the Immunization Action Coalition (IAC), to be utilized during patient consultations before vaccine administration. Attention: Non-MDH link
- The American College of Physicians (ACP) Immunization Advisor App
Up-to-date adult vaccine recommendations available at your fingertips. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)
Vaccine safety surveillance program co-sponsored by CDC and FDA, and relies on receiving adverse event reports from health care professionals. All providers, including pharmacists, are encouraged to report any adverse event that occurs after vaccine administration, even if the provider is unsure whether a vaccine caused them. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC)
MIIC is a confidential, computerized system that collects immunization records for Minnesota residents across the lifespan. MIIC combines immunizations a client has received into a single record, even if the shots were given by different health care providers in the state.
- MIIC and Pharmacies
MIIC can make it easy for pharmacies to ensure their clients are up-to-date on their immunizations and that patient immunization records are complete and accurate. Pharmacies administering vaccines are encouraged to enroll and participate in MIIC.