MIIC and Child Care Facilities
The Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC) can make it easy for child care facilities to ensure the children in their care are up-to-date on their immunizations and enforce the child care immunization laws. Updated 3/12
Download PDF version formatted for print:
MIIC and Child Care Facilities (PDF: 41KB/2 pages)
The Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC) is a confidential, computerized system that collects immunization records and helps ensure correct and timely immunizations. The immunization information is available to authorized users, such as health care providers, public health agencies, child care facilities, and schools who work together to prevent vaccine-preventable diseases.
Minnesota’s School and Child Care Immunization Law requires all children enrolling in licensed child care to show evidence that they have received certain immunizations or properly document exemptions. Child care facilities are responsible for assuring that their enrollees are in compliance with the immunization law and the requirements in the child care licensing standards. This is where MIIC can help!
- Provides a copy of a child's immunization history for maintaining records, as needed for compliance with child care immunization laws and child care licensure requirements.
- Combines immunizations a child has received into a single record, even if the shots were given at different clinics in Minnesota.
- Saves time by allowing access to multiple children’s records in one location.
- Allows users to quickly identify children missing immunizations, in case of a disease outbreak at a child care facility or in the community.
- Helps ensure a child's immunizations are more complete and up-to-date.
Child care facilities can use MIIC to:
- Look up and print immunization records of children in their care.
- Keep a list of children in their care and quickly review or print all their immunization records.
- Receive assistance with the annual Child Care Immunization Report required each fall by MDH.
- Help ensure that immunization records are accurate by contacting the central MIIC Help Desk if a child’s record in MIIC is inconsistent with the facility’s record.
Protecting the privacy of individuals is important. MIIC is password-protected, confidential, and can only be accessed by authorized users as prescribed by law. Child care facilities that participate in MIIC must sign a user agreement that details the allowable uses for MIIC and they must ensure that the facility will maintain the children’s privacy. Additionally, parents can choose to opt out of MIIC if they wish.
Enrolling in MIIC is easy and free for child care facilities. The first step in getting started with MIIC is to contact your regional coordinator.