Using Client Follow-Up
The Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC) Client Follow-Up feature makes it easy for MIIC users to conduct reminder and recall outreach with their clients. Client Follow-Up identifies clients who are recommended and/or overdue for selected vaccinations and helps to facilitate follow-up with those individuals. Updated 12/12
Download PDF version formatted for print:
Using Client Follow-Up (PDF: 129KB/2 pages)
Following up with clients who have overdue or recommended immunizations can help ensure that more of your clients are up-to-date and on time with their immunizations. This is essential to the continued control of vaccine preventable disease.
Client Follow-Up can be used in different ways:
- Health care providers can do outreach for their patients who are recommended and/or overdue for selected vaccines.
- Local public health agencies can conduct population-based reminder and recall.
- In the event of a vaccine-preventable disease outbreak, health care providers or local public health agencies can identify and follow-up with clients who are missing vaccinations.
- Child care facilities or schools can identify children due or overdue for immunizations using a list of their current enrollment, eliminating the need to search MIIC one record at a time for immunization status.
First, you choose your cohort. This can be based on the clients you already have associated with your clinic in MIIC or you can submit your own list of clients. Your follow-up cohort can be customized based on:
- Overdue and/or recommended vaccine status
- Vaccine(s) of interest (At this time DTaP, HepB, Hib, MMR, Pneumo-conj, Polio, and Varicella are the only available vaccines. Others will be added at a later date.)
Client Follow-Up will produce a list of clients and some of their demographic information, based on the cohort you selected. At that time, you can manage the list by selecting which clients to keep and which clients to remove.
Then, you can create follow-up outputs that fit your organization’s needs (client list, labels, mail merge, etc.).
MIIC’s Client Follow-Up produces the following outputs to facilitate reminder and recall notices:
- Client Report: This is a list of clients and their recommended or overdue immunizations. The list can be printed and used as a tracking sheet to record your quality improvement activities.
- Mailing Labels: This creates mailing labels to use for reminder mailings.
- Mail Merge: This provides client-specific data that can be used to generate customized letters or could be used with an auto-dialer system.
- XML Output: XML is a commonly used method of delivering information. IT staff could use the code in a separate program to automatically generate letters and addresses. Also, some systems are able to use the XML extract to update their immunization records.
- Contact List: This Excel spreadsheet with client information makes it easy to search for and sort a large list of clients.