How Schools Can Use MIIC
The Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC) can make it easy for K-12 schools as well as early childhood programs to ensure their students are up-to-date on their immunizations and enforce the school immunization laws. Updated 7/14
Download PDF version formatted for print:
How Schools Can Use MIIC (PDF: 118KB/2 pages)
MIIC is a system that stores electronic immunization records and helps ensure that Minnesotans get the right immunizations at the right time. The immunization information is available to authorized users, such as health care providers, public health agencies, child care providers, and schools who work together to prevent vaccine-preventable diseases.
Minnesota’s School and Child Care Immunization Law requires all students enrolling in school to show evidence that they have received certain immunizations or have a legal exemption. MIIC can help schools check that their students are in compliance with the immunization law. Schools can use MIIC to:
- Get an official copy of a student’s immunization history for checking compliance and maintaining records.
- View all of the immunizations a student has received even if the shots were given at different clinics in Minnesota.
- Look up immunization history and show which vaccines a student needs.
- Look up the immunization history and keep a list of students’ immunization records to review or print. These printouts allow users to see immunization data for a list of children at a glance.
- Identify students who are missing immunizations, this is helpful in case of a disease outbreak at a school or in the community.
- Keep school electronic tracking systems up to date. MIIC allows schools to submit a file of their students to MIIC and receive a file of immunization data for those students. The returned data can then be loaded into a school electronic tracking system. (Using this client query feature may require some additional IT help.)
For more information on how to use these MIIC features, see:
- MIIC User Guidance and Training Resources
- Client Query User Guidance and File Specifications
- You can also contact the MIIC Help Desk at 800-657-3970 or 651-201-5503 for additional assistance.
In addition to using MIIC to view students’ immunization records, some schools enter immunization data into MIIC. These schools obtain written permission from parents to add this information to MIIC, in accordance with the Family Educational Right and Privacy Act (FERPA).
Protecting the privacy of individuals is important. MIIC is password-protected, confidential, and can only be accessed by authorized users as prescribed by law. Schools that participate in MIIC must sign a user agreement that details the allowable uses for MIIC and they must ensure that the school will maintain the student’s privacy. Additionally, parents or individuals can choose to opt out of MIIC.
Enrolling in MIIC is easy and free for schools. The first step in getting started with MIIC is to contact your regional coordinator.