Health Education Materials for Refugees
Multilingual health education materials and resources for refugees; includes Minnesota-specific as well as national resources.
- A Guide to Your Refugee Health Assessment (PDF: 51KB/2 pages)
Explanation of the refugee health assessment.
- English Language Learners (ELL) Health Curriculum
Curriculum for teachers of adult English language learning on several health topics.
Guide for Refugees in Minnesota (PDF: 1.12MB/99 pages)
Updated in summer 2006, this health guidebook aims to help refugees and their families understand the Minnesota health care system including:
- the different health programs available in Minnesota;
- where refugees can call or go for help;
- tips to help when talking with health care providers; and
- descriptions of different health care needs a refugee may have.
- Web versions updated in February 2013 with the following:
- Updated contact information in Chapter 3: Resources in Minnesota (pages 19-22)
- Updated contact information for Places to Get Help in Chapter 9: Mental Health (pages 55-56)
- Updated contact information in Appendix A (pages 76-82)
- Vaccine Information Statements
CDC's VISs available in multiple languages from the Immunization Action Coalition. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Autism and the Somali Community
This Web page offers resources and information on autism for Somali families, including a brochure for parents in both English and Somali.
- Emergency and Community Health Outreach (ECHO)
ECHO TV's series of programs on health issues and emergency preparedness are broadcast on Twin Cities Public Television (tpt). Attention: Non-MDH links
Addresses cultural beliefs and medical issues on the health care of recent immigrants; includes clinical topics and multilingual patient education materials. Developed by Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Health Information Translations
An Ohio-based initiative to improve health education for limited English proficiency patients; includes a searchable database of hundreds of materials. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Healthy Living Toolkit
Developed by the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants for assisting refugees and immigrants to navigate the health system. For use by health professionals, health promoters, ESL teachers, resettlement case managers. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Healthy Roads Media
Free audio, written, and multimedia health education materials in a number of languages. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Hmong Health Education Network
Health information for Hmong people and those who provide health, education, and social services to the Hmong community. Attention: Non-MDH link
- MedlinePlus: Health Information in Multiple Languages
Includes multilingual feature, providing access to high quality health information in languages other than English and Spanish. The collection contains over 2,500 links to information in more than 40 languages and covers nearly 250 health topics. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Multilingual Health Resources Exchange
A collaboration among Minnesota partners to share multilingual health materials. This is a password-protected site available to Minnesota local public health; contact the Refugee Health Program for access. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Refugee Health Information Network (RHIN)
Multilingual health information for refugees and their health providers. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Selected Patient
Information Resources in Asian Languages (SPIRAL)
Joint initiative of the South Cove Community Health Center and Tufts University Health Sciences Library. Attention: Non-MDH link