2015 Meeting Archive: Metro Refugee Health Task Force
An archive of 2015 Metro Refugee Health Task Force meeting presentations. The content of presentations and handouts (including the photos) are solely the responsibility of the speaker/presenter not the Minnesota Department of Health.
September 1, 2015
- Minnesota's Refugee and International Health Program: An Overview (PDF)
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) Refugee and International Health Program (RIHP) staff presented on the latest refugee arrival and health screening data; medically complex cases; special projects and community engagement; and emerging health issues.
April 7, 2015
- Speaking for Ourselves (PDF)
Denise Hanh Huynh and Nicole MartinRogers from Wilder Research shared initial findings from the Speaking for Ourselves study.
March 3, 2015
- Serving Immigrants & Refugees in Minneapolis Public Schools (PDF)
Martha Swanson, New Families Center, Minneapolis Public Schools, shared how the New Families Center helps identify and serve English Learners and place them in appropriate schools.
- Aidyl Fonseca, Student Placement Center, St. Paul Public Schools, described the services and outreach offered by the Student Placement Center.
- Kari Xiong, Family Welcome Center, Anoka-Hennepin Schools, talked about the assessment of reading, writing, and speaking skills to determine English Language (EL) service eligibility and placing the student in the closest school with the services they need.
February 3, 2015
- Refugee Resettlement (PDF)
Angela Fox from Catholic Charities talked about the resettlement process for refugees before they come to the United States including how individual cases are prioritized, the steps required to be relocated to the United States, and the complex interagency effort involving government and non-governmental partners in order to process refugee cases.
- Resettlement in the U.S. Today (PDF)
Michelle Eberhard from Arrive Ministries discussed refugee resettlement in Minnesota and the core services provided by the Voluntary Agencies (VOLAGs).