Law, policy, and practice: resources and organizations addressing the needs of refugees with limited English skills and the impact of language barriers on refugee health issues.
- Immigrant Health Care and Linguistic Access: Kaiser Commission
Publications related to linguistic access in health care settings, including legal rights and responsibilities of health care and coverage providers, and how race, immigration status, and language affect insurance coverage and access to care.
- Language Access Resources
- Limited English Proficiency
Department of Health and Human Services resources on limited English proficiency, including Policy Guidance on the Title VI Prohibition Against National Origin Discrimination As It Affects Persons with Limited English Proficiency.
- Minnesota Statutes on Interpreter Services:
- M.S. 256L.03 Covers interpreter services for MnCare.
- M.S. 15.441 Requires state agencies to provide interpreters when it renders assistant to the public.
- M.S.256B.0625, subd. 18a Medicaid covers interpreter services.
- M.S. 144.058 Interpreter Services Quality Initiative requires the Commissioner of Health to establish a voluntary statewide roster of spoken language health care interpreters.
- National Standards on Culturally and Linguistically
Appropriate Services (CLAS)
A description of 14 comprehensive standards to guide individuals and organizations in delivering culturally competent care. Includes final report on CLAS standards. From the Office of Minority Health.
- A Patient-Centered Guide to Implementing Language Access Services in Healthcare Organizations
Office of Minority Health guide designed to help health care organizations implement effective language access services to meet the needs of limited English proficient patients.
- Translation and Interpreting Training and Services
University of Minnesota academic program offering courses in interpreting and translation within a theoretical and practical framework.
- Upper Midwest Translators and Interpreters Association
A chapter of the American Translators Association. UMTIA’s mission is to promote quality and professionalism in the field of translating and interpreting in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, South Dakota, and North Dakota.