Appendix: Sample Memorandum of Agreement
CHS PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT AND PLANNING AGENCY
MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT
between the Glacier Community Health Board
and River County
January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013
Article 1. Parties to the Agreement
This is a memorandum of agreement between the Glacier Community Health Board, hereafter referred to as Board, and River County, hereafter referred to as County.
Article II. Purpose of the Memorandum
This memorandum of agreement is to set forth the terms under which the County will serve as the Performance Improvement and Planning Agency for the Board, including the provision of associated support services.
Article III. Basic Agreement
- The County agrees that its Public Health Director will serve as the Director of Performance Improvement and Planning and will perform the duties specified in the Summary of Responsibilities (attached).
- The County agrees that its public health department will provide clerical, planning, and administrative support as needed to assure that the County Public Health Director is able to perform the duties specified in the Summary of Responsibilities.
- The County shall maintain its own liability insurance. The County agrees that the Board and its member counties individually are held harmless from any and all claims or causes of action arising from the performance of this agreement by the County.
- The County agrees its employees performing the duties outlined in this agreement are maintained as County employees and are not considered employees of the Board.
Article IV. Consideration and Terms of Payment
Consideration for all services performed pursuant to this memorandum of agreement shall be paid by the Board to the County in an amount to be determined annually. Payment shall be made on a quarterly basis. Total payment shall be $10,000 for January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013.
Article V. Duration
This memorandum of agreement shall be in effect from January 1, 2013, through December 31, 2013.
Article VI. Amendment
This memorandum of agreement may be amended upon 90 days written notice and consent to all parties.
Article VII. Termination
This memorandum of agreement may be terminated, with or without cause, by either party upon 90 days written notice to the other party.
Article VIII. Review and Records
The books, records, documents, accounting procedures, and practices of the County relevant to this memorandum of agreement are subject to examination by the Board, the Minnesota Department of Health, and either the Legislative Auditor or the State Auditor as appropriate.
In witness whereof, the Board and County have caused this agreement to be duly executed in their respective behalf and hereby agree to the content of this memorandum of agreement.
Date: January 1, 2013
Date: January 1, 2013
Date: January 1, 2013
Summary of Position Responsibilities
Director of Performance Improvement and Planning, Glacier Community Health Board
Summary of Position
The Performance Improvement and Planning, in the absence of the Director of Administration and Finance, shall act as the authorized agent on behalf of the Glacier Community Health Board to carry out the statutory duties and other responsibilities identified herein.
The Director of Performance Improvement and Planning must meet the following minimum training and experience standards:
- A baccalaureate or higher degree in public health, administration, community health, or nursing, and two years of documented public health experience in an administrative or supervisory capacity;
- A master's or higher degree in public health, administration, community health, or nursing, and one year of documented public health experience in an administrative or supervisory capacity;
- A baccalaureate or higher degree and four years of documented public health experience in an administrative or supervisory capacity.
The Director of Performance Improvement and Planning is able to demonstrate the following Core Competency skills:
1. Analytic/Assessment Skills
- Review the health status of populations and their related determinants of health and illness
- Incorporate data into the resolution of scientific, political, ethical, and social public health issues
2. Policy Development/Program Planning Skills
- Decide policy options for public health organization
- Ensure public health programs are consistent with public health laws and regulations
- Integrate emerging trends of the fiscal, social, and political environment into public health strategic planning
3. Communication Skills
- Ensure that the public health organization seeks input from other organizations and individuals
- Communicate the role of public health within the overall health system
4. Cultural Competency Skills
- Ensure the consideration of the role of cultural, social, and behavioral factors in the accessibility, availability, acceptability, and delivery of public health services
5. Community Dimensions of Practice Skills
- Integrate the role of governmental and non-governmental organizations in the delivery of community health services
- Defend public health policies, programs, and resources
6. Public Health Sciences Skills
- Incorporate the Core Public Health Functions and Ten Essential Services of Public Health into the practice of the public health sciences
7. Financial Planning and Management Skills
- Leverage the organizational structures, functions, and authorities of local, state, and federal public health agencies for public health program management
- Develop partnerships with agencies at all levels of government that have authority over public health situations
- Manage the implementation of the judicial and operational procedures of the governing body and/or administrative unit that oversees the operations of the public health organization
8. Leadership and Systems Thinking Skills
- Integrate systems thinking into public health practice
- Resolve internal and external problems that may affect the delivery of Essential Public Health Services
- Ensure the management of organizational change
The documented experience of the Director of Performance Improvement and Planning must include skills necessary to:
- Direct and implement public health programs
- Prepare and manage budgets
- Direct and support a planning process to identify, coordinate, and deliver necessary services
- Prepare necessary reports
- Evaluate programs for efficiency and effectiveness
- Coordinate the delivery of community health services within a multi-county system in addition to coordinating with other public and private services
- Advise and assist the community health board in the selection, direction, and motivation of personnel
- Prepare and monitor grants
- Facilitate cooperative activities with Public Health Directors in a multi-county CHS system
- Assess and represent needs/interest of a multi-county CHS organization at the statewide level
Organizational Duties and Responsibilities
Local Public Health Assessment and Planning Process
- Assume primary responsibility for coordinating the local public health assessment and planning process
- Assure compliance with current assessment and reporting requirements
- Have oversight and approval of annual reporting for the CHB/member counties
Facilitate Exploration and Discussion of Optimal CHB/PH Agency Structure for the Future
- Review research, seek consultation, and provide information to the Glacier CHB regarding organizational infrastructure options that would provide optimal effectiveness and efficiency for current and future public health service delivery
- Convene meetings, facilitate discussion, and provide information as requested throughout exploration and decision making process
Public Health Accreditation
- Develop work plan and timetable for public health accreditation of the Glacier Community Health Board
- Lead Glacier Community Health Board self-assessment and planning process
Program Development and Implementation
Together with the Director of Administration and Finance, assure development and implementation of public health programs and services that most efficiently and effectively address the needs identified through the local public health assessment and planning process.