Equity Metrics for Health Impact Assessment Practice, Version 1
Society of Practitioners of Health Impact Assessment (SOPHIA)
Go directly to this resource: Equity Metrics for Health Impact Assessment Practice, Version 1 (PDF)
This 11-page document helps the user evaluate an Health Impact Assessment (HIA) process on four equity-related dimensions. The purpose of the assessment is to determine how well the HIA process incorporated equity concerns and to identify areas for improvement in future HIA processes. There are metrics for each dimension to identify the breadth and depth of the activities within the HIA. Each metric is accompanied by an identified data source that includes how the process of the HIA engaged and built capacity of communities to increase their influence over decisions within the HIA and in other venues.
When to Use
The authors suggest this be used:
- When you want an evaluation of the degree to which an HIA successfully incorporated equity.
- As a self-reflective exercise for an HIA practitioner.
- When you want to compare HIAs and evaluate how those addressed equity.
- When you are starting an HIA and want to include a plan for addressing equity.
- For benchmarks related to HIA and Health In All Policies.
Things to Consider
The authors indicate that the total score of a single HIA within this assessment has no value on its own; scores are only meant to be used in-comparison.
Use This Resource
Practices Addressed by This Resource
|Authentically engage with the community|
|Collect and use data for change|