IMG Career Graduate Residency Preparation Program
- University of Minnesota International Medical Graduate Residency Preparation Program (PDF)
- Program Application (PDF)
The University of Minnesota, in partnership with Minnesota Department of Health, will offer a residency preparatory program for international medical graduates from September 2017-May 2018. The faculty leads for this program are Drs. Sala Maalim, Hope Pogemiller, and Michael Westerhaus. This nine-month program will consist of inpatient and outpatient training opportunities as well as community and classroom based components to optimally prepare participants to match into and succeed in residency programs.
The following requirements must be met in order to participate in the Residency Preparation Program:
- At least two years of documented Minnesota residency by September 1, 2017;
- ECFMG Certification;
- Passing score on USMLE Steps 1 & 2 within 3 attempts;
- Demonstrated typing proficiency or completion of the typing course offered by New American Alliance for Development (NAAD); and
- Personal health insurance coverage throughout the program period.
Participants will be selected through a competitive application process that includes a written application, submission of supporting materials, participation in the Minnesota IMG preparatory Observed Clinical Skills Exam (OSCE) and an in-person interview for the top applicants. Applicants will be selected based on meeting the above listed requirements as well as readiness for residency, personal initiative, ambitions, and motivations for desiring to complete residency, previous clinical experience, and future goals as a practicing professionals.
The selection process will follow this timeline:
- April 28th – May 22nd – Call for applications.
- June 5th – Notification of 15 candidates to participate in the OSCE.
- June 15th - OSCE Evaluation.
- June 20th – June 30th, 2017 Interviews of top candidates.
- July 15, 2017 – Notification of selected participants.
Interested applicants should submit the following by May 22, 2017 at 4:00 pm CST:
- Written Application (attached)
- ECFMG Certification
- USMLE Transcripts for Step 1&2
- Complete medical school transcript
- 2 letters of reference (from colleagues or those who can comment on your character)
- C.V that includes all clinical experience and activities since medical school graduation
These should be submitted electronically or in-person to:
Coordinator, IMG Assistance Program
Minnesota Department of Health - ORHPC
P.O. Box 64882
St. Paul, MN 55164-0882