National Rural Health Day highlights the unique health care challenges in rural areas and showcases the many ways rural health providers and communities address these needs.
Thank you for making National Rural Health Day 2012 so successful! Mark your calendar for next year's celebration, scheduled for November 21, 2013.
Ideas for celebrating
• Issue a proclamation for your community or organization (Word: 1pg/21KB), building on the proclamation signed by Governor Mark Dayton in 2012.
• Participate in an informational webinar hosted by the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH).
• Share your Community Success Story, photos or video.
• Write a letter to the editor or contact a local legislator to stress the importance of addressing the health needs of rural communities.
• Plan/host a community health fair.
• Give tours of your facilities.
• Display National Rural Health Day banners/posters.
• Link to National Rural Health Day website from your website.
• Have a “staff appreciation” luncheon.
Activities and celebrations in Minnesota in 2011-2012
• The Minnesota Rural Health Association held a cyber conference in partnership with the National Rural Health Resource Center.
• Windom shared a story about a patient, hospital and community uniting for breast health on the National Rural Health Day "Community Success Stories" site.
• Paynesville Area Health Care System posted an article on its website, including a tribute to its patients, providers and community.
• The Morrison County Record explored the health challenges in that county and how St. Gabriel's Hospital helps address them.
• Madelia Community Hospital and Clinic held its annual meeting and hosted an open house with their home health care staff. The Madelia Times-Messenger reported on the day's activities.
• In 2012, Ortonville Area Health Services held an array of activities, including a staff appreciation lunch for 250 employees, a poster contest with area schools and a press release to their local newspaper. In 2011, Ortonville Area Health Services and Northside Medical Clinic celebrated in town, at the schools and with a coloring contest and caduceus cookies:
More ideas are on the National Rural Health Day site.
For more information, please contact Darcy Dungan-Seaver at email@example.com or 651-201-3855.