November 20 is National Rural Health Day
National Rural Health Day highlights the unique health care challenges and opportunities in rural areas.
Ideas for celebrating
• Issue a proclamation for your community or organization, such as the proclamation signed by Governor Mark Dayton.
• Participate in an informational webinar hosted by the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH).
• Share your Community Success Story, photos or video.
• Write a letter to the editor or contact a local legislator to stress the importance of addressing the health needs of rural communities.
• Plan/host a community health fair.
• Give tours of your facilities.
• Display National Rural Health Day banners/posters.
• Link to National Rural Health Day website from your website.
• Have a “staff appreciation” luncheon.
Activities and celebrations in Minnesota in 2011-2013
• The Minnesota Rural Health Association held a cyber conference in partnership with the National Rural Health Resource Center.
• Windom shared a story about a patient, hospital and community uniting for breast health on the National Rural Health Day "Community Success Stories" site.
• Paynesville Area Health Care System posted an article on its website, including a tribute to its patients, providers and community.
• The Morrison County Record explored the health challenges in that county and how St. Gabriel's Hospital helps address them.
• Madelia Community Hospital and Clinic held its annual meeting and hosted an open house with their home health care staff. The Madelia Times-Messenger reported on the day's activities.
• In 2012, Ortonville Area Health Services held an array of activities, including a staff appreciation lunch for 250 employees, a poster contest with area schools and a press release to their local newspaper. In 2011, Ortonville Area Health Services and Northside Medical Clinic celebrated in town, at the schools and with a coloring contest and caduceus cookies:
More ideas are on the National Rural Health Day site.
For more information, please contact Darcy Dungan-Seaver at email@example.com or 651-201-3855.