Breastfeeding is the natural and healthy way for mothers to feed their babies.
Breastfeeding is healthy for babies
- Breast milk is the perfect food for babies.
- Breast milk is easy to digest.
- Breastfed babies are healthier and have fewer infections and illnesses.
- Breastfeeding helps your baby's eyes and brain develop.
Breastfeeding is good for mom
- Breastfeeding helps moms lose weight and get back into shape.
- Breastfeeding has health benefits like lowering the risk of ovarian cancer, breast cancer and osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding is great for mother-baby bonding.
- Moms and babies enjoy breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding helps families
- Breastfeeding saves money (no formula or bottle costs, fewer doctor bills and medication costs).
- Breastfeeding saves time. No messy bottles to fix at night, so everyone sleeps better.
- Breastfed babies are easy to take on trips. Just grab the diapers and go!
Websites for answers to common questions
- BabyGooRoo has breastfeeding information in written and video formats for those seeking general breastfeeding information.
- KellyMom has parenting and evidence-based breastfeeding information that is updated regularly.
- La Leche League Breastfeeding information for parents provided by La Leche League International.
Minnesota law protecting breastfeeding
- Breastfeed - Anywhere, anytime
Minnesota Statute 145.905 says a mother may breastfeed in any location, public or private, where the mother and child are otherwise authorized to be. Breastfeeding is not considered indecent exposure.
- Workplace support for breastfeeding
Minnesota Statute 181.939 says an employer must provide unpaid break time daily to allow an employee to express breast milk for her infant. The space should be in close proximity to the work area, not a bathroom or toilet stall, shielded from view, free from intrusion and includes access to an electrical outlet.
Websites in other languages
- ECHO Breastfeeding Your Baby Videos
These are short videos in different languages that cover the importance of breastfeeding, techniques and tips to successfully breastfeed. Languages include Somali, Hmong, Spanish, English and others.