Kittson, Marshall, Pennington, Red Lake and Roseau Counties
Announcement: Childcare and foster care providers, attend the free “Twist and Sprout” training October 20 in Hallock and October 21 in Thief River Falls. This training will be offered in Roseau County and Marshall County in the Spring of 2015.
Status: SHIP funding restored starting in 2014
Area Schools Get Active at Recess
The Quin Community Health Services SHIP Grant and the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) partnered to bring a dynamic Active Recess training to Northwest Minnesota. All school districts in the five county area, including the counties of Roseau, Kittson, Marshall, Red Lake and Pennington were invited to attend one of the two trainings that were offered on August 26 at the Plummer Elementary School and on August 27 at the Grygla School.
The three hour free workshop was facilitated by Terri Swartout, School SHIP Coordinator for MDE. The elementary teachers, physical education teachers, para-professionals, and school administrators learned creative ways to turn recess time into an outdoor learning laboratory, to understand the link between physical activity and academic achievement, to investigate current recess programming/policies in addition to identifying effective change, and lastly to leave with a wealth of resources and activities ready to incorporate into productive recess time.
The area schools that took advantage of this wonderful training opportunity were Badger, Tri-County, Plummer, Red Lake Falls, Warren-Alvarado-Oslo, Greenbush Middle River (both sites), Goodridge, Grygla, Marshall County Central (Newfolden and Viking), and Roseau with 39 participants attending in Plummer and 27 participants attending in Grygla. In addition to the training, each site received a complimentary Active Recess Kit valued at $100 which included Bonker bat and ball sets, a soccer ball, Frisbees, jump ropes, and swing balls sets.
A Middle River elementary student validated the success of this workshop while panting at the end of recess, “Whew! That Frisbee is a good workout!”
- Laura Dahl email@example.com
Community Leadership Team
- Lynn Balstad, Childcare Aware of MN
- Amy Bekius-Johnson, Community Healthy Eating/Headstart
- Mark Carlson, NWCA Headstart
- Kristin Eggerling, Community Member
- Linda Gornowicz, Safe Communities Coalition
- Noelle Harding, U of M Extension
- Dawn Hedlund, LifeCare Medical Center
- Heidi Hughes, Middle Snake Tamarac River Watershed District
- Janet Johnson, Community/Education
- Linda Kingery, NW Regional Sustainable Development Partnership
- Colleen Klamar, LifeCare Medical Center
- Warren Larson, Sanford Health Systems
- Jeff Lund, Marshall County Central School/Superintendent
- Neil Peterson, Pennington Co./Commissioner
- Danica Robson, NWRDC Area Agency on Aging
- Troy Schroeder, NWRDC
- Carmen Stinson, ICNS Tobacco Coalition
- Kami Underdahl, Business Owner
- Sara VanOfflen, University of MN Moorhead