Cupcakes and sugary treats make up a lot of birthday celebrations throughout the school year, but in the Brooklyn Center school district their celebrations are not only healthy and delicious, but loved by both parents and students.
In 2012, the food service department collaborated with SHIP to implement the “Healthy Celebrations” program, an affordable, yet healthy alternative to celebrations that are prepared and served by food service staff.
“Healthy Celebrations promotes positive lifestyle choices and supports the classroom lessons students learn about in health instead of contradicting them,” shares Liliana Gomez, senior health promotion specialist with Hennepin County. ...More Celebrating Healthy in Brooklyn Center
Tickling Taste Buds for Robbinsdale Kids (PDF: 742KB/1 page)
"Active Living and SHIP dollars have provided New Hope an incredible opportunity to coordinate and communicate with its adjoining communities, Hennepin County, and our school district. We have started Complete Streets initiatives, Safe Routes to Schools, bike and walking projects, as well as public health and wellness awareness. We are putting forth a concerted effort to coordinate various department activities with the public’s health in mind.”
— Kathi Hemken, Mayor of New Hope.
Community Leadership Team
- Lori Kerns, City of Eden Prairie
- Michele Adamich, Preferred One
- Kathi Hemken, City of New Hope
- Marvin Johnson, City of Independence
- Patrice Howard, Brooklyn Center School District
- Amber Spaniol, Robbinsdale School District
- Jeanne Weigum, The Association for Nonsmokers
- Sophia Lenarz-Coy, Emergency Foodshelf Network
- Pat Busch, City of Brooklyn Park
- Khatidja Dawood, Hennepin County