Introduction to e-Health
Chances are you’ve noticed that your doctor’s office is relying more and more on computers. e-Health is a growing field that uses technology to advance the quality, safety, and efficiency of healthcare.
Three main aspects of e-Health are important to you as a consumer:
- Personal Health Records
- Electronic Health Records
- Secure electronic health information sharing between healthcare providers to ensure appropriate and safe care for you or your family members
Through advances in e-Health, there are many advantages to you and your healthcare providers. For example:
- Important information from your health history is readily available to your doctor, without having to spend time looking through a paper chart and possibly missing something important.
- Your doctor can receive important alerts based on your specific history, such as whether a new medication will conflict with an existing one, or if you are due for an immunization booster.
- If your clinic has several locations that you can choose from for an appointment, your health record will be available at whichever clinic site you choose. This means you won’t have to worry about the paper chart not being transferred in time.
- Increasingly, clinics are able to electronically and securely send your relevant health information to another doctor you have to see. This saves you from having to unnecessarily repeat tests and procedures and means you won’t have to fill out a lengthy health history form in the waiting room.
- In a growing number of clinics in Minnesota, medical information is made available to you making it easier for you to monitor and take charge of your health or the health of your children or parents.