A Prescription for Meeting Minnesota's 2015
Interoperable Electronic Health Record Mandate
A Statewide Implementation Plan
2008 Statewide Implementation Plan (PDF)
About the 2008 Edition
The adoption and effective use of electronic health information systems can play a significant role in transforming the health care system and in supporting healthier communities.
Several significant mandates were enacted in the 2007 and 2008 Legislative sessions that impacts all health care providers in Minnesota (see Minnesota Statutes 62J.495):
- A mandate that all health care providers and hospitals have an interoperable electronic health record (EHR) system by 2015.
- A requirement to develop a statewide implementation plan to meet the 2015 interoperable EHR mandate.
- The requirement to establish uniform health data standards by 2009.
- A requirement that all health care providers and payers establish and use an e-prescribing system by January 1, 2011.
This statewide implementation plan has several purposes:
- To accelerate the adoption and effective use of interoperable electronic health records (EHRs) in order to improve health and health care in Minnesota.
- To identify a model for achieving the 2015 interoperable EHR mandate.
- To provide practical guidance to providers and provider organizations on what they can do now to overcome barriers and accelerate progress in adopting interoperable EHRs.
- To provide links to tested planning and implementation tools.