- Learn what you can do to keep bacteria from spreading throughout the kitchen onto hands, cutting boards, utensils, counter tops and food.
- Tips for cooking, chilling, and defrosting foods to help prevent foodborne illness.
- Tips for storing and preserving food properly to prevent foodborne illness.
- Tips for preparing food for groups, bringing leftovers home, cooking when traveling, and packing lunches.
- Information for handling specific foods like eggs, turkey, hamburger, fish, and fruits and vegetables.
- Did you know that a national disaster or the loss of power could jeopardize the safety of your food?
- Foodborne illness is caused by consuming food or beverages that are contaminated by disease-causing microbes or pathogens. Find out which diseases are spread via food, and what you can do about them.
- Food safety in restaurants, cafes, and other food and beverage establishments. Including food manager certification, food and beverage establishment licensing, regulations and food code, and more about keeping food safe in food business.
- A food recall is a voluntary action by a manufacturer or distributor to protect the public from products that may cause health problems or possible death.
- Resources for teaching food safety to kids, including curricula and tool kits.
- Fact sheets, brochures, signs, and other materials that you can print and use.
Make Handwashing a Healthy Habit
Thorough hand washing can help prevent disease.
Foodworker Illness Awareness
Workers who prepare food while experiencing diarrhea and/or vomiting are frequently linked to foodborne illness outbreaks in restaurants and other retail food outlets. As a food manager or worker you have a responsibility to protect yourself and your guests from foodborne illness.
Reporting Suspected Foodborne Illness
Please call the Minnesota Department of Health if you suspect you have a foodborne or waterborne illness. MDH will relay the necessary information to the appropriate local health authorities.
Preventing Foodborne Illness
There is a lot you can do to handle and prepare your food safely. Learn what you can do to prepare, serve and store food safely.