- Thoroughly cook raw meat to destroy bacteria.
- Ground beef and hamburgers should be cooked thoroughly.
- Using a thermometer to measure the internal temperature of meat can be used to ensure that it is cooked sufficiently to kill bacteria.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Grilling and Barbecue Safety
Grilling or barbecuing is a fun way to cook and serve food. But they can also be a means to transmit disease if care is not taken in how the food is handled.
- The All American Hamburger (PDF: 132 KB/2 pages)
Come take a behind-the-scenes look at all that’s done by your Minnesota Department of Agriculture
and others to bring you safe, wholesome food — the All American Hamburger! Attention: Non-MDH link
Basic information about the safety of irradiation, how it is used to protect people from foodborne illness, and which foods can currently be irradiated (including hamburger).