Alcohol-Based Handrubs: Easy as 1, 2, 3
Download a print version of this document:
Alcohol based handrubs: Easy as 1, 2, 3 (PDF)
Keep your hands clean!
- Use an alcohol-based handrub when your hands are not visibly soiled.
- Wash your hands with soap and water when your hands are visibly soiled.
Alcohol-based handrubs provide several advantages over hand washing with soap and water:
- require less time than hand washing
- act quickly to kill microorganisms on hands
- more effective than hand washing with soap and water
- more accessible than sinks
- reduce bacterial counts on hands
- do not promote antimicrobial resistance
- less irritating to skin than soap and water
- can even improve condition of skin
How do you use it?
It is as easy as 1, 2, 3...
When decontaminating hands with an alcohol-based handrub use an amount of alcohol-based handrub sufficient to cover all surfaces of hands.
- Apply handrub to palm of one hand.
- Rub hands together covering all surfaces of hands and fingers.
- Rub until handrub is absorbed.