Health Care Homes (aka Medical Homes) - Background
Minnesota's health care homes, also known nationally as medical homes, are an important component of Minnesota's comprehensive, nation-leading 2008 health reform law. The goal of health care homes is to transform primary care; patients and families are at the center of their care, and the right care is provided at the right time, in the right place.
The health care homes initiative is a joint effort between the Minnesota Department of Health and the Minnesota Department of Human Services. Both agencies have worked extensively with public and private organizations since 2008 to launch health care homes in Minnesota.
- Health Care Home Statutes
Minnesota statutes Chapter 256B.0751-0753
- Annual reports to the Legislature on health care homes
- Adopted rule detailing standards for certification as a health care home
- Consumer/family council
- Safety Net Primary Care Transformation Grant: Final Report (PDF:424KB/36 pgs)
- General information about health care homes
Health Care Home Learning Collaborative Report
Read the final report evaluating collaborative learning methods and models that incorporate quality improvement approaches that could be implemented statewide for initial and ongoing clinician certification as a health care home provider. This is the first step in developing the new learning collaborative for health care homes in Minnesota.
- ICSI: Recommendations on Outcomes to Consider for Health Care Homes (PDF: 1.1 MB/180 pages)
(See page 8, “Recommended Health Care Home Outcomes”)
Prepared by Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement for MDH and DHS, 2008
- ICSI: Report on the Current "State-of-the-art" Health Care Home (PDF: 790 KB/69 pages)
Prepared by Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement for MDH and DHS, December 30, 2008
- Health Care Home Community Engagement Communication Plan
If you would like to request a copy of the entire report please contact contact HCH at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 651-201-5421.
- Initial capacity assessment of clinic and consumer readiness for health care home
Additional Information on Medical / Health Care Homes
National Center for Medical Home Implementation:
Center for Medical Home Improvement: