General Resources to Help Begin the Journey
Presentation: Implementing HCH in a Clinical Practice (325KB/41 pages)
Gordy Harvieux, M.D., Oct. 30, 2009
Presentation: Introduction to HealthPartners Medical Home and Embedding Reliability in Ambulatory Care - The Care Model Process (PDF: 770KB/52 pages)
Nancy Salazar & Katrina Beckstrom, Oct. 30, 2009
American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) National Center for Medical Home Implementation
The National Center for Medical Home Implementation works to ensure that all children and youth, including those with special health care needs, have a medical home. This site includes numerous templates and educational material for physicians, nurses and patients/families regarding all aspects of implementing medical home.
- The AAP Toolkit: Building Your Medical Home is a step-by-step guide to implementing a medical home that has six building blocks: care partnership support; clinical care information; care delivery management; resources and linkages; practice performance measurement; and payment and finance. AAP membership is not required to access this, but click on registration to set up an account (at no cost).
- Patient-Centered Medical Home is a step-by-step tool that includes information on practice organization, health information technology (with information on benefits of EMR), quality measures and patient experience.
- The Patient-Centered Medical Home Checklist (PDF) is a two-page outline to get started.
- Link to TransforMED’s Medical Home IQ, a self-assessment that can be used to pre-assess and structure clinic decision-making and is also a source of resources on specific topics developed by TransforMED (a subsidiary of the AAFP). AAFP membership is not required to access but you will need to set up a membership account (at no cost).
Center for Medical Home Improvement
This site includes many materials that provide information about implementing medical home in a clinic, research and a validated self-assessment tool to measure medical home progress.
- The Medical Home Pediatric and Adult Practice Index Knowledge Center for Practices
- The site also contains Medical Home Practice-Based Care Coordination: A Workbook (PDF) that is designed to support practice-based quality improvement teams in their efforts to build comprehensive primary care “medical homes.”
- Do you need help becoming a Patient Centered Medical Home? The ACP Medical Home Builder (MHB) provides affordable, accessible online guidance for practices involved in incremental quality improvement changes - or significant transformation of their practices.
Based on an intuitive interface, this self-paced program will guide practices through a thorough, yet simple, process (the ACP Practice Biopsy) for evaluating their practice in seven areas: patient-centered care & communication; access & scheduling; organization of practice; care coordination & transitions in care; use of technology; population management; and quality improvement & performance improvement. License fees vary by practice size and ACP membership.
Minnesota Department of Health - Health Care Homes - Certification
Certification assessment tools and other information on getting started with the certification process.
Illinois Model - A Medical Home Primer for Community Pediatricians and Family Physicians
A complete menu of the components of a medical home with options and suggestions for incorporation into a practice. This is written specifically for the physician audience with an exceptional listing of references.
Patient-Centered Primary Care Collaborative
National organization on the cutting edge of development of patient-centered medical home
National Committee for Quality Assurance
National organization that sets standards for recognition as a patient-centered medical home