Health Care Quality Measures Proposed Rule Amendments Published August 12, 2013
Minnesota Statutes 62U.02 requires the Commissioner of Health to establish a standardized set of quality measures for health care providers across the state and to produce an annual public report on health care quality. A subset of the standardized set of quality measures will be used for public reporting purposes. To implement the collection of quality measurement data, MDH developed the Minnesota Statewide Quality Reporting and Measurement System by adopting Minnesota Rules, Chapter 4654 in December 2009. This rule compels physician clinics, hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers to submit data on a set of quality measures to be publicly reported and also establishes a broader standardized set of quality measures for health care providers across the state. MDH will collect data on those measures to be publicly reported, while health plans may only require providers to submit data on those measures that are part of the standardized set. MDH released its inaugural report on provider quality in November 2010.
The Commissioner of Health is required to annually evaluate the measures included in the standardized set of quality measures. This annual evaluation includes a process by which interested parties may submit recommendations and culminates in a set of proposed changes to the rules, which must be published by August 15 of each year. MDH invited interested stakeholders to submit recommendations related to adding, deleting or modifying existing quality measures by June 1, 2013. MDH also convened a public meeting to discuss these recommendations on June 26, 2013, and subsequently accepted comments on them. MDH considered all recommendations and comments as potential changes to be included in a proposed set of amendments.
Minnesota Rules, Chapter 4654, Proposed Expedited Amendments to Rules Governing Health Care Quality Measures, was published in the August 12, 2013 edition of the State Register This publication only includes the proposed changes to the rule. The current rule in its entirety is available at Health Care Quality Measures – Adopted Rule.
The proposed rule amendments and the final version of the appendices are available for download below.
Public Comment Period
The publication of the proposed amendments to the rules initiates a formal 30-day public comment period. Written comments are due by 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 11, 2013. Comments or questions to the rules must be submitted to:Denise McCabe, Minnesota Department of Health, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164-0882, 651-201-5530 and email@example.com. TTY users may call MDH at 651-201-5797.
Physician Clinic Measure Specifications
- Optimal Diabetes Care (ODC) Composite Measure Specifications Referenced in Appendix A (PDF: 157KB/7 pgs)
- Optimal Vascular Care (OVC) Composite Measure Specifications Referenced in Appendix A (PDF: 139KB/6 pgs)
- Depression Remission at Six Months Measure Specifications Referenced in Appendix A (PDF: 97KB/6 pgs)
- Optimal Asthma Care Composite Measure Specifications Referenced in Appendix A (PDF: 146KB/5 pgs)
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Measure Specifications Referenced in Appendix A (PDF: 286KB/9 pgs)
- Primary C-Section Rate Measure Specification Referenced in Appendix A (PDF: 144KB/7 pgs)
- Health Information Technology (HIT) Survey for Physician Clinics Referenced in Appendix A (PDF: 304KB/45 pgs)
- Patient Experience of Care Survey for Physician Clinics Referenced in Appendix A (PDF: 103KB/2 pgs)
- Total Knee Replacement Measure Specifications Referenced in Appendix A (PDF: 49KB/5 pgs)
Hospital Measure Specifications
- Appropriate Care Measure (AMI-ACM) Specifications Referenced in Appendix B (PDF: 65KB/1 pages)
- Minnesota Stroke Registry Indicator Specifications Referenced in Appendix B
- University of Minnesota Rural Health Research Center Measure Specifications Referenced in Appendix B (PDF: 71KB/3 pgs)
Ambulatory Surgical Center Measure Specifications
Other Measure Specifications
- Additional Information about Minnesota Department of Human Services Quality Measures as Referenced in Minnesota Rules, Chapter 4654.0200, Subp. 19C (PDF: 21KB/1 pg)