Health Reform In the News
- A December 2010 report by the National Academy for State Health Policy and the Commonwealth Fund provides an overview of health reform efforts in Minnesota and nine other states. Read "State Strategies to Improve Quality and Efficiency: Making the Most of Opportunities in National Health Reform."
- Read a November 20, 2010, Star Tribune editorial praising MDH's health care quality report: "Editorial: Health report gives reason for hope."
- Read a November 18, 2010, Star Tribune story about MDH's health care quality report: "Quality of care in Minnesota is all over the map."
- Read an August 17, 2010, Star Tribune story on the first 11 MDH-certified health care homes in Minnesota.
- A March 2010 report from the National Academy for State Health Policy and the Commonwealth Fund explores Minnesota’s efforts to transform its health care delivery system. The report focuses both on our landmark legislation passed in 2008, as well as the many public and private
initiatives that preceded its passage.
Read "Reforming Health Care Delivery Through Payment Change And Transparency: Minnesota’s Innovations."
- Read about health care homes in the February 28, 2010 issue of the Star Tribune: "Future of health care alive and well in Staples."
- Read the Commonwealth Fund's October 2009 profile of Minnesota (PDF) that calls Minnesota the "land of 10,000 collborations."
- Read the Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government's August 2009 article (PDF) on Minnesota's health care homes.
- Read about the Statewide Health Improvement Program in the August 26, 2009 issue of the Star Tribune: "$47 million says Minnesotans can be healthier."
- Read about the Statewide Health Improvement Program and health care homes in the June/July 2009 issue of the Commonwealth Fund's "States in Action."
- Read a July 10, 2009 editorial in the Star Tribune supporting MDH's efforts to improve transparency around the cost and quality of providers in order to contain rising health care costs.
- Watch MDH's Cara McNulty discuss the Statewide Health Improvement Program on the June 17, 2009 episode of "Health Connections" on KSMQ TV.
- Read an article by MDH's Julie Sonier and Katie Burns on the development of Minnesota's provider peer grouping system in the June 2009 issue of Minnesota Physician (PDF: 622KB/3 pages).
- Read about the role of public health in Minnesota's health reforms in "Public health leaving its mark on state health reform" (PDF: 212KB/2 pages) in the April 2009 issue of The Nation's Health.
- Read former Minnesota Commissioner of Health Dr. Sanne Magnan's article, "Minnesota's Health Reform Initiative in 2009: Where We Are and Where We're Going," in the March/April 2009 issue of MetroDoctors magazine. Her piece begins on p. 11 of the magazine.
- Read former Minnesota Commissioner of Health Dr. Sanne Magnan's essay, "Build Social Capital" (PDF: 1.9MB/2 pages). The essay appeared as part of “The $64 Million Question: Given millions to improve health, how would you spend it?” in the February 2009 issue of Minnesota Medicine magazine. See the rest of the responses on the Minnesota Medicine Web site.
- Former Minnesota Commissioner of Health Dr. Sanne Magnan participated in a January 2009 Minnesota Public Radio forum on health care reform that was broadcast on the "Midday" program. Listen to the show at "Ideas for healthcare recovery" on the MPR Web site.
- Read "The Minnesota Way," a commentary by former Governor Tim Pawlenty on Minnesota's health reform efforts that was published by Modern Healthcare and The Commonwealth Fund in January 2009.