Sexual Violence Prevention Network
Hold the date for the next Sexual Violence Prevention Network meeting in Marshall, MN, August 4, 2006
The next Sexual Violence Prevention Network meeting will be held in Marshall, MN on Friday, August 4, 2006. More details to come very soon.
On June 28, 2006, at 12:00 p.m. ET, the U.S. Department of Justices National Institute of Corrections (NIC) will air Preventing Sexual Abuse of Children and Youth in Custody. This 3-hour satellite/internet broadcast will introduce administrators, managers, advocates, and practitioners working with juvenile offenders to the requirements of the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003.
The registration deadline is June 26, 2006. More information and registration is available from NIC or for answers to questions contact Ed Wolahan, (800) 995-6429, extension 131.
The 2nd Minnesota Human Trafficking Watch meeting will be held on June 30, 2006, from 2:30 to 5:00 pm in St. Paul.
Minnesota Human Trafficking Watch meeting
International Institute of Minnesota
1696 Como Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
June 30, 2006
2:30 to 5:00 pm
332 Minnesota St., Suite E-1436
Saint Paul, MN 55101
2:30 p.m. Opening- Linda Miller, Executive Director
2:30 - 2:45 pm Welcome - Senator Dayton and Senator Coleman are invited
2:45 - 3:00 pm Marie Martinez, U.S. Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime (OVC), will discuss OVC's human trafficking victim service program
3:00-3:30 pm Report from St. Paul Police Sgt. John Bandemer, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Stacy Burrows, and Lisa Nielsen, Investigator, Federal Bureau of Investigation.
3:30-3:45 pm Vednita Carter on domestic trafficking victims identified in Minnesota, Report from Linda Miller on international victims identified
3:45-3:55 pm Report from Alex Crittenden and Tatiana on ESL and vocational counseling for internationally trafficked victims
3:55-4:05 pm Report from Lauren Gilchrist on outreach efforts to trafficked victims found at medical clinics, mental health providers and hospitals; training of medical students in Rochester; and new flyer for medical personnel
4:05-4:15 pm Introduction of Civil Society staff and report from Project Director on trainings provided and invitation to trainings - Linda Miller, Project Director, and Jane Rydholm, Project Manager
4:15-4:25 pm Report from Diane Cushman on new resources available to trafficking victims
4:25-4:35 pm Report on student projects - Emily Deetz, College of St. Catherine student and Siv Dobrovolny of Civil Society
4:35-5:00 pm Questions and answers. Adjourn, visit and refreshments
Victimization of Persons with Traumatic Brain Injury or Other Disabilities: A Fact Sheet for Professionals
A new fact sheet, Victimization of Persons with Traumatic Brain Injury or Other Disabilities, is now available on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Victimization can include physical violence, sexual violence, psychological or emotional abuse, and neglect, and research indicates that persons with disabilities are at an increased risk for victimization. This fact sheet was developed for professionals to provide a comprehensive overview of the topic of victimization of persons with traumatic brain injury or other disabilities and to raise awareness about this serious and preventable public health problem.
The April VAWA E-Newsletter highlights resources on outreach to teens and young adults to prevent sexual and domestic violence. New materials address prevention program theory, recommended policy and protocol guidelines, model teen outreach initiatives, evaluation strategies to measure prevention approaches, and research on teen victimization.
The June VAWA E-Newsletter highlights resources on the experiences of immigrant victims of violence against women and the systems that impact them. New materials discussing the multiple layers of abuse against immigrant women, effective advocacy and intervention strategies, legal protections for battered immigrants, and system responses and barriers are included. More information on the intersections between immigration and violence against women can be found in the newsletter.
The Links between Prostitution and Sex Trafficking: a Briefing Handbook, is part of the joint project coordinated by European Women's Lobby (EWL) and the Coalition Against Trafficking of Women on promoting preventative measures to combat trafficking in human beings for sexual exploitation. The handbook is also available upon request at EWL secretariat. For multiple copies contact Colette De Troy, Coordinator.
The Primer on the Male Demand for Prostitution was originally developed to assist European antitrafficking projects in the Baltic States in challenging the legalization and decriminalization of prostitution industries and in focusing on the demand. In this version, it has been adapted for use in a more general, international context.
- June 19-23, Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Training Program - Bemidji, MN. For information contact call North Country Health Services, (218) 333-5578.
- June 28, 2006, Prevention of Sexual Abuse of Youth in Custody broadcast. For information e-mail Ed Wolahan or call (800) 995-6429 x 131.
- June 30, 2006, MN Human Trafficking Watch meeting, St. Paul, MN. For more information e-mail the International Organization of Minnesota or call (651) 647-0191.
- July 12, 2006, MNALL Workshop: Building Community Partnerships: Promoting Health and Safety in Later Life - location TBN. For more information e-mail MNALL.
- July 19, 2006, Prevention Connection Web Conference.
- August 4, 2006, Sexual Violence Prevention Network (SVPN) - location TBN. For more information watch for future SVPN mailings.
- August 9, 2006, MNALL Workshop: Building Community Partnerships: Promoting Health and Safety in Later Life - location TBN. For more information e-mail MNALL.
- September 6 to December 11, 2006, Campaigns and Services for Victims of Trafficking and Slavery online course. For more information contact Julie Reynolds in the summer sessions office, (401) 874-2107.
- September 13, 2006, MNALL Workshop: Building Community Partnerships: Promoting Health and Safety in Later Life - Marshall, MN. For more information e-mail MNALL.
- October, 2006, MNALL Workshop: Building Community Partnerships: Promoting Health and Safety in Later Life - Metro area location TBN. For more information e-mail MNALL.
- November 3, 2006, Sexual Violence Prevention Network (SVPN) - location TBN. For more information watch for future SVPN mailings.
- November 8, 2006, MNALL Workshop: Building Community Partnerships: Promoting Health and Safety in Later Life - St. Cloud, MN. For more information e-mail MNALL.
- December 13, 2006, MNALL Workshop: Building Community Partnerships: Promoting Health and Safety in Later Life - location TBN. For more information e-mail MNALL.
PLEASE NOTE: Sexual Violence Prevention Network E-News is brought to you by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) with support from the National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Contributed items are solely the responsibility of the contributors, and do not necessarily represent official views of, or endorsement by the MDH or the CDC.
Top of Page