Sexual Violence Prevention Network
On Monday, October 30, 2006 Breaking Free will have its fourth Candlelight Vigil. After a brief introduction, a short walk down University Avenue (known as a high trafficked prostitution area) is scheduled, in protest of the violence of prostitution. Upon return to Breaking Free, there will be presentations and a candlelight vigil remembering the many women and girls who have been killed while involved in prostitution and to make a statement in the community that prostitution is violence against all women and girls. Sergeant Jerry Vick will also be remembered for his work in trying to eradicate prostitution.
Breaking Free Candlelight Vigil
Monday, October 30, 2006
Breaking Free, 770 University Avenue, St. Paul, MN
Guests will include: Margaret Vick (mother of Jerry Vick), City Council Member Debbie Montgomery, Kathleen Mitchell from Dignity House in Phoenix Arizona, and others to be announced. Refreshments will be served after the program. For more information call Joy, (651) 645-6557.
Breaking Free will hold its 10th Anniversary Conference on Prostitution and Human Trafficking this Thursday, November 2, 2006. The conference is co-sponsored by the Minnesota Coalition for Battered Women.
10th Anniversary Conference on Prostitution and Human Trafficking
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Paul and Sheila Wellstone Center for the Community Building
179 Robie Street
St. Paul, MN 55107
Conference agenda and registration information is available from Breaking Free.
Please RSVP now for the next Sexual Violence Prevention Network meeting to be held on Friday, November 3. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is piloting its anti-teen dating violence initiative, Choose Respect, in Minnesota with the help of The Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MNCASA) and The Minnesota Coalition for Battered Women(MCBW). Dresden Jones (MNCASA) and Danielle Kluz (MCBW) have partnered with 23 sexual assault and domestic violence programs to launch Choose Respect across the state, using materials geared for youth ages 11-14. Come and hear more about the initiative from Dresden Jones and Danielle Kluz, as well as first hand knowledge of how to use the materials and get the messages out from Melanie Matson of HOPE Center.
Sexual Violence Prevention Network meeting
Friday, November 3, 2006
10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Health Snelling Office Park
1645 Energy Park Drive
St. Paul, MN (directions)
Lunch will be provided.
RSVP required by Monday, October 30, 2006. Contact Amy Kenzie, (651) 201-5410.
Special Topic: Choose Respect in Minnesota
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m. Registration, networking/resource set-up (be sure to bring resources to announce and share)
10:45 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Welcome, introductions, information and resource sharing
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Lunch and small group discussions
12:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Presentation
Please feel free to invite others to this meeting! (and be sure they RSVP - thanks).
The 24th Upper Midwest Conference on Adolescents & Children In Need offers workshops for psychologists, social workers, therapists, counselors, teachers and anyone who works with children or adolescents. Topics include:
- Moving from Conflict to Teamwork, Love and Inspiration with Youth and Families
- Adolescent Schizophrenia: Clinical and Research Update
- Innovative Approaches in Working with Youth & Families with Chemical Health Problems
- Walking the Talk for "Invisible Children"
- Eastern Psychology, Mindfulness, Narrative and Creativity
- Why Some Kids Don't Learn in School
- Changing Behavior - Changing Lives - You Make a Difference
- Child Physical and Sexual Abuse - Indicators and Current Medical Issues
- African American Adolescents and a Battle for Their Minds
- Sleepless in America: Are Children Misbehaving or Missing Sleep?
24th Upper Midwest Conference on Adolescents & Children In Need
November 16 & 17, 2006
Holiday Inn, Arden Hills, MN
$129/person, includes both days
For more information, Contact CE&D, (320) 629-1307.
Prevent Child Abuse Minnesota, in cooperation with the Minnesota Department of Human Services Children's Trust Fund, is presenting the 3rd videoconference in a three part series to be held on Tuesday, November 28 from 9:00 a.m. - noon. Prevent Child Abuse Minnesota has more information, including locations of these videoconferences or you can contact Jennifer Bertram, 651-523-0099.
Please hold the date for the Second Annual Survivor and Prevention Conference to be held on December 9, 2006 at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel, Minneapolis South, 7800 Normandale Boulevard, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55439. More information will follow in a future newsletter and updates are available through Survivor's Network.
Proposals requested to provide outreach activities to communities affected by International Human Trafficking
Civil Society is seeking subcontractor proposals from experienced non-profits and businesses who have the capability to provide outreach activities to communities affected by International Human Trafficking. Civil Society must be receive the proposals by 5:00 p.m., CST, November 20, 2006. Civil Society has additional information concerning this opportunity or you can contact Linda Miller.
Many of you may already be familiar with the Prevention Connection but if you're new to Sexual Violence Prevention Network, please be sure to learn about Prevention Connection, which is a national project of the California Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CALCASA) to conduct web conferences, moderate a listserv and lead on-line discussions to advance primary prevention of violence against women.
Web conferences have included topics such as:
- Media Advocacy to Prevent Violence Against Women
- Changing Social Norms of Masculinity: A Dialogue on Preventing Violence Against Women
- The 'Why' and 'How' of Local Policy Change: Exploring Applications for Violence Against Women Prevention
Prevention Connection also has archived copies of past conferences.
Be sure to mark your calendar for Thursday, November 30, for the next Prevention Connection web conference.
Archived issues of SVPN E-News are available for your reference.
The October 3, 2006 ABC Nightline episode featured a story on sexual abuse in the Jewish community: Child Sex Abuse Case Still Haunts: The Cold Case of Avrohom Mondrowitz and the Silencing of a Community, by Roxanna Sherwood. (Resource FYI: The Jewish Institute Supporting an Abuse-Free Environment.)
October 20, 2009 St. Paul Pioneer Press article: Abuse is a real-life horror flick, by Rubén Rosario. (Notes: this will only be available for free viewing until November 2, 2006 and you may need to login to view this article.)
- October, 2006, MNALL Workshop: Building Community Partnerships: Promoting Health and Safety in Later Life - Metro area location TBN. For more information e-mail MNALL.
- October 29-31, National Conference on Sexual Assault in our Schools, Tampa, Florida.
- October 30, 2006,Positive Youth Development as a Primary Prevention Strategy Against Sexual Violence Workshops, Bloomington, MN. For more information contact Minnesota Youth Work Institute, (612) 624-1999.
- October 30, 2006, Breaking Free Candelight Vigil, St. Paul, MN. For more information call Joy, (651) 645-6557.
- November 2, 2006, Breaking Free 10th Anniversary Conference on Human Trafficking, St. Paul, MN. For more contact Breaking Free.
- November 3, 2006, Sexual Violence Prevention Network (SVPN) - location TBN. For more information watch for future SVPN mailings.
- November 6, 2006, Positive Youth Development as a Primary Prevention Strategy Against Sexual Violence Workshops, Bloomington, MN. For more information contact Minnesota Youth Work Institute, (612) 624-1999.
- November 8, 2006, MNALL Workshop: Building Community Partnerships: Promoting Health and Safety in Later Life - St. Cloud, MN. For more information e-mail MNALL.
- November 14-17, 2006, Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Training, Bemidji, MN. For more information call North Country Health Services, (218) 751-5430 or (218) 333-5578.
- November 16, 2006, Upper Midwest Conference on Adolescents & Children in Need, Arden Hills, MN. For more information e-mail CE&D, (320) 629-1307.
- November 28, 2006, Prevent Child Abuse Minnesota Fall Videoconference Trainings to be held throughout MN. For more information contact Jennifer Bertram, (651) 523-0099 or (800) 621-6322.
- December 1, 2006, The Impact of Media and Technology on Parenting: What's our Role as Educators and Family Practitioners? - St. Paul, MN. For more information call (651) 407-0950.
- December 9, 2006, 2nd Annual Survivor and Prevention Conference, Minneapolis, MN. For more information contact the Survivor's Network.
- December 13, 2006, MNALL Workshop: Building Community Partnerships: Promoting Health and Safety in Later Life - location TBN. For more information e-mail MNALL.
- February 2, 2007, Sexual Violence Prevention Network (SVPN) - location TBN. For more information watch for future SVPN mailings.
- May 4, 2007, Sexual Violence Prevention Network (SVPN) - location TBN. For more information watch for future SVPN mailings.
- August 3, 2007, Sexual Violence Prevention Network (SVPN) - location TBN. For more information watch for future SVPN mailings.
- November 2, 2007, Sexual Violence Prevention Network (SVPN) - location TBN. For more information watch for future SVPN mailings.
PLEASE NOTE: Sexual Violence Prevention Network E-News is brought to you by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) with support from the National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Contributed items are solely the responsibility of the contributors, and do not necessarily represent official views of, or endorsement by the MDH or the CDC.
Top of Page