What is a man? How is manhood defined? How does this differ across cultures, including American popular culture?
Masculinity is a complicated identity, one in which value is often placed on competition, guardedness, a refusal to show emotional intimacy, and a refusal to ask for help. How does this limit people from being who they fully want to be? From exploring authentic relationships with others? From communicating one's desires and boundaries, particularly around issues of intimacy?
- Beyond Tough Guise Group in Winona, MN formed to encourage community members to live the BTG characteristics, creating a sense of purpose and optimism as the foundation for a positive vision of masculinity. http://www.beyondtoughguise.org/index.html
- A Call to Men A CALL TO MEN is a leading national men's organization addressing domestic and sexual violence prevention and the promotion of healthy manhood, providing trainings, workshops, and speakers. http://acalltomen.com/page.php?id=51
- Repeat Rape and Multiple Offending Among Undetected College Rapists (PDF: 80KB/12 pages) In a survey of 1882 men on college campuses, 120 men self-reported acts which met legal definitions of rape or attempted rape. The repeat rapists averaged 5.8 rapes each. http://www.wcsap.org/sites/www.wcsap.org/files/uploads/webinars/SV%20on%20Campus/Repeat%20Rape.pdf
- Mentors in Violence Prevention (MVP) The MVP Model is a gender violence, bullying, and school violence prevention approach that encourages young men and women to take on leadership roles in their schools. http://www.jacksonkatz.com/mvp.html
- Campus Men of Strength Men Can Stop Rape's Campus Men of Strength Clubs are the nation's most comprehensive strategy to engage college and university men in preventing violence against women. http://www.mencanstoprape.org/The-Campus-Men-of-Strength-Club/
- National Organization for Men Against Sexism (NOMAS) NOMAS is an activist organization of men and women supporting positive changes for men. NOMAS advocates a perspective that is pro-feminist, gay affirmative, and anti-racist. http://nomas.org/chapters
- Men Against Sexual Assault and Rape (MASAR) MASAR of Haverford believes that men can stop rape, but that before that goal can be achieved, we must educate ourselves and our friends about what we as individuals can do. http://www.students.haverford.edu/masar/front.htm
College Men's Experiences as Men
Shared findings that emerged from two grounded theory studies of college men's gender identity development are presented in this article. http://www.keithedwards.us/HarrisEdwards.pdf
- The B.E.S.T. (Be Equal, Safe, and Trustworthy) Model: Preventing Sexual and Domestic Violence with Parties Women Love The BEST Party Model mobilizes a process for campus men to join women in taking responsibility for the process of preventing violence against women at parties. http://menaspeacemakers.org/programs/mnman/BEST
- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes Our mission is to create a unique and powerful public experience that educates individuals and communities about the causes of sexualized violence. http://www.walkamileinhershoes.org/
- White Ribbon Campaign: Engaging Men and Boys to Reduce and Prevent Gender-Based Violence The world's largest effort of men and boys working to end violence against women and girls, addresses root causes, socialization, power, masculinities, and inequality. http://www.whiteribbon.ca/
- If He is Raped: A Guidebook for Parents, Partners, Spouses, and Friends Rape can happen to anyone, including males. Everyone needs to know what to do and what not to do if a loved one, friend, or even a male stranger tells you he has been raped. http://www.justdetention.org/pdf/ifheisraped.pdf
- She Fears You: Teaching College Men to End Rape (PDF:17pages/140KB) College men can understand that they too are harmed by men's violence against women and can be motivated to examine their own socialization and behaviors and join with women. http://www.keithedwards.us/Edwards.Headrick.pdf
Men Can Stop Rape
Mission: To mobilize men to use their strength for creating cultures free from violence, especially men's violence against women.
The website has posters available to order featuring the "Where Do You Stand?" campaign. http://www.mencanstoprape.org/
Top of Page