What is a man? How is manhood defined? How does this differ across cultures, including American popular culture?
Masculinity is a complicated identity, one in which value is often placed on competition, guardedness, a refusal to show emotional intimacy, and a refusal to ask for help. How does this limit people from being who they fully want to be? From exploring authentic relationships with others? From communicating one's desires and boundaries, particularly around issues of intimacy?
- Beyond Tough Guise Group in Winona, MN formed to encourage community members to live the BTG characteristics, creating a sense of purpose and optimism as the foundation for a positive vision of masculinity.
- A Call to Men A CALL TO MEN is a leading national men's organization addressing domestic and sexual violence prevention and the promotion of healthy manhood, providing trainings, workshops, and speakers.
- Campus Men of Strength Men Can Stop Rape's Campus Men of Strength Clubs are the nation's most comprehensive strategy to engage college and university men in preventing violence against women.
- National Organization for Men Against Sexism (NOMAS) NOMAS is an activist organization of men and women supporting positive changes for men. NOMAS advocates a perspective that is pro-feminist, gay affirmative, and anti-racist.
College Men's Experiences as Men
Shared findings that emerged from two grounded theory studies of college men's gender identity development are presented in this article.
- The B.E.S.T. (Be Equal, Safe, and Trustworthy) Model: Preventing Sexual and Domestic Violence with Parties Women Love This primary prevention model engages students, staff, and faculty in shaping one of the single most dangerous social environments on campus through party policy and practice changes that make it safe to have fun.
- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes Our mission is to create a unique and powerful public experience that educates individuals and communities about the causes of sexualized violence.
- White Ribbon Campaign: Engaging Men and Boys to Reduce and Prevent Gender-Based Violence The world's largest effort of men and boys working to end violence against women and girls, addresses root causes, socialization, power, masculinities, and inequality.
Men Can Stop Rape
Mission: To mobilize men to use their strength for creating cultures free from violence, especially men's violence against women.
The website has posters available to order featuring the "Where Do You Stand?" campaign.
- Primary Prevention Committees: Organizing Campuses to End Sexual and Relationship Violence A project of MN Men's Action Network, the Committee brings together key administrators, students, faculty, and staff to assess and develop strategies to change the campus social environment in relation to gender equity and violence against women. For more information, contact Ed Heisler at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bystanders In Action A project of MN Men's Action Network, this program increases peer leadership focused on intervening in negative situations, with a special emphasis on how individuals can work together to shape the social environment to stop the harm before it starts. For more information, contact Ed Heisler at: email@example.com
Top of Page