Sexual violence is a public health issue, just like any other form of violence.
Victims1 of sexual violence face both immediate and chronic psychological consequences as a result of the trauma they endured, as well as having their social life impacted and turning to high risk behaviors. This has long term consequences for a large percentage of the student body in terms of their health and wellness--not to mention their academic performance.
- American College Health Association: Campus and Sexual Violence ACHA, the recognized voice of expertise in college health, offers resources including association projects, programs, publications, guidelines, and more. http://www.acha.org/topics/violence.cfm
- The Sexual Victimization of College Women, US Department of Justice The study estimates that a college that has 10,000 female students could experience more than 350 rapes a year, a finding with serious policy implications for college administrators. http://www.nij.gov/pubs-sum/182369.htm
- Department of Education's Higher Education Center for Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Violence Prevention Provides support to all institutions of higher education in their efforts to address the problems related to alcohol and other drug abuse and violence. http://www.higheredcenter.org/
- Harvard University Panel on Sexual Assault on College Campuses This forum, moderated by Marnie Shiels, Attorney Advisor for the Office on Violence Against Women, examined the prevalence, nature, and reporting of various types of sexual assault experienced by university students, including those perpetrated by "undetected" rapists, and discussed evidence-based prevention strategies. http://www.innovations.harvard.edu/xchat-transcript.html?chid=281
- Sexual Violence Prevention: Beginning the Dialogue This document from the CDC is intented to begin the dialogue about what it means to 'move upstream' for prevention, with concepts and strategies that may be used as a foundation for prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pub/SVPrevention.html
Top of Page