Impacts of Pornography
In October 2014, the MN Department of Health, along with key partners around the state, hosted a day-long symposium to explore the connections between public health, pornography, and sexual violence. See below for information from the symposium, including recordings, handouts and ways to become involved in prevention activities.
Symposium Summary: Includes a summary of the day's events and thoughts, ideas, and actions from participants
Videos (CC available) and transcripts
- Cordelia Anderson. The Impact of Pornography on Children, Youth, and Culture, Transcript
- Dr. Donald Hilton. Pornography and the Brain: Understanding the Addictive Potential in the Context of Current Neuroscience, Transcript
- Dr. Jennifer Johnson. Chaos and Control: The Janus Face of the Online Commercial Pornography Industry, Transcript
- Panel Sessions: Please see the Symposium Summary document above for summaries of the two afternoon panel sessions. Due to privacy needs, the recordings of the afternoon panel sessions will not be made available. Thank you to those who sat on the panel sessions to share their stories, expertise, and ideas.
Get connected and take action
- SVPN eNewsletter: We have an existing eNewsletter called "Sexual Violence Prevention Network E-News" that contains resources, event info, articles, books, videos, funding opportunities, and more. This newsletter also includes resources, events, etc., related to pornography. If you are interested, please provide your email address in the form on the right side of this page.
- Listserv: The MN-STPN (MN Human Trafficking Prevention Network) listserv includes resources and statewide discussion about trafficking and other forms of exploitation, including pornography. To sign up, please email Amy Kenzie
- Additional Listservs for policy and prevention: The Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MNCASA) works to build the capacity of member sexual assault agencies and others across the state to prevent sexual assault through changing environments, policies, and norms towards a world where no one is ever sexually harmed or sexually violates another. You are invited to join their Prevention and/or Policy listservs which shares resources and information about prevention and policy happenings around the state and where people can submit questions and share their responses with others across the state. Messages are sent about every other week. To join the list, suggest a topic, share a resource, or ask a question, contact Yvonne Cournoyer, Prevention Program Manager.
- Networking and training: Attend one of our quarterly Sexual Violence Prevention Network meetings! For details, follow the steps in number one above to receive our eNews, which contains details about our quarterly meetings.
- Resources: Check out keynote speaker Cordelia Anderson's website for a variety of resources, webinars, workshops, articles, etc., related to the impacts of pornography
- Looking to connect with other survivors? Check out the MN Coalition Against Sexual Assault's HOPE program
Top of Page