This section will include ideas for staff development around the issues of school violence as it relates to: dating violence, sexual violence, sexual harassement and bullying. It will address effective ways to respond to these issues and how to create a safe school environment.(See School wide prevention strategies logic model)
- Staff Development:
- What is dating and sexual violence/harassment?
- What are the schools policies rergarding these types of violence in our school?
- How should they(different types) be handled/reported by staff, bus drivers, paras, ect,?
- Examples of how to effectively respond to issues from name calling to threats or physical/sexual violence?
- Trainings or staff development day dedicated to covering these issues.
- Staff survey about how currently respond to situations and what they need more information on.
- Creating a safe/violence free environment in your classroom
- Creating a safe/violence free environment schoolwide
- Child Abuse and Maltreatment for Mandated Reporters: Teaching Personal Safety Skills : Handouts from a presentation of the same name.
- Professional Staff Development Tools (Welcoming Schools) : "The Connecting with Colleagues--Learning Together section of Welcoming Schools provides administrators and educators with the resources and activities they need to facilitate informative and inspiring professional development workshops with their colleagues. They are designed for educators who are interested in working with colleagues to explore and expand their knowledge and develop an awareness of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender topics. The activities can also be useful for parents and community allies who want to form discussion groups."
- Staff Development (Welcoming Schools) : Your role as an administrator
- Teaching Tolerance: A Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center : Founded in 1991 by the Southern Poverty Law Center, Teaching Tolerance is dedicated to reducing prejudice, improving intergroup relations and supporting equitable school experiences for our nation's children. We provide free educational materials to teachers and other school practitioners in the U.S. and abroad.
- Child Abuse and Maltreatment for Mandated Reporters: Teaching Personal Safety Skills (PDF 1014KB/33 Pages) : Training for teachers and mandated reporters
- Mandated Reporting for Teachers: Protecting and Supporting Young Adolescents (PDF: 120KB/8 pages) : Teachers' Responsibilities When Adolescent Abuse and Neglect Are Suspected
- Teacher's guide to address Teen Dating Violence (PDF: 53KB/8 pages) : Interesting, Fun, and Effective Classroom Activities To Influence Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention
Top of Page