Interpreter Roster: Spoken Language, Health Care
In 2008 the Minnesota Legislature required the Commissioner of Health to establish a voluntary statewide roster of spoken language health care interpreters to address health care access concerns for Minnesotans, particularly in rural areas. In 2010 Legislation, a change to the Medical Assistance statute was made so that beginning January 1, 2011, Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare will not cover face-to-face oral language interpreting services if the interpreter is not listed in the Roster.
The Roster can be searched to show the names and expiration dates of all spoken language interpreters who have applied to be in the roster. Some of the interpreters in the Roster are not available to be contacted to provide interpreting services. However, the Roster can be searched by language and geographic area to find available interpreters. For available interpreters, the Roster also shows health care subject areas and specialty settings in which the interpreter may have work experience.
The information in the Roster is provided by each interpreter and has NOT been verified by the Minnesota Department of Health. At this time there are no qualifications that must be met to be included on the Roster. Inclusion on the Roster is NOT evidence of being a "certified" health care interpreter.
Click on the links below to find Frequently Asked Questions about the Roster, how to complete searches, to apply to be in the Roster, renew and to change or update interpreter information.
- Search for Interpreters
- Roster Applicant and Participant Notice
- Code of Ethics
- Updates for Interpreters and Interpreter Agencies
- Roster Information: Frequently Asked Questions
- Apply to the Roster
- Renew Your Listing on the Roster
- Change or Update Your Information on the Roster
- Interpreter Roster Statute (MN Stat. 144.058)
- Interpreters paid through MnHCP Required to be on Roster (MN Stat. 256B.0625; see Subd. 18a)
- Information about National Certification of Healthcare Interpreters and to Learn if a Particular Interpreter is Nationally Certified
- Contact Us