Interpreter Roster: Spoken Language, Health Care
The Commissioner of Health maintains a statewide Roster of spoken language health care interpreters. Being listed on the Roster is voluntary. However, as of January 1, 2011, an interpreter cannot be paid from Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare unless the interpreter is on the Roster.
The Roster can be searched to show the names and expiration dates of all spoken language interpreters who have applied to be on the Roster, though some interpreters choose not to be available to be contacted to provide interpreting services. The Roster can also be searched by language and geographic area to find available interpreters. For available interpreters, the Roster also shows health care subject areas and specialty settings in which the interpreter may have work experience.
The information in the Roster is provided by each interpreter and has NOT been verified by the Minnesota Department of Health. At this time, an interpreter need not show any qualifications to be included on the Roster. Inclusion on the Roster is NOT evidence of being a "certified" health care interpreter.
Click on the links below to find Frequently Asked Questions about the Roster, how to complete searches, to apply to be in the Roster, renew and to change or update interpreter information.
A person claiming to represent the Minnesota Department of Health has been calling interpreters on the roster and asking to interview them during the evening, at a hotel. The Minnesota Department of Health is NOT requesting interviews with interpreters. For reasons of safety, we encourage you not to meet with anyone unless you can verify their identity and you meet in an area visible to the public.
If you have any questions or concerns about this notice, contact the Minnesota Department of Health at 651-201-3721.
- Search for Interpreters
- Roster Applicant and Participant Notice
- Code of Ethics
- Updates for Interpreters and Interpreter Agencies
- Roster Information: Frequently Asked Questions
- Apply to the Roster
- Renew Your Listing on the Roster
- Change or Update Your Information on the Roster
- Interpreter Roster Statute (MN Stat. 144.058)
- Interpreters paid through MnHCP Required to be on Roster (MN Stat. 256B.0625; see Subd. 18a)
- Information about National Certification of Healthcare Interpreters and to Learn if a Particular Interpreter is Nationally Certified
- Contact Us