Interpreter Roster: Spoken Language, Health Care
The Commissioner of Health maintains a statewide Roster of spoken language health care interpreters. Being listed on the Roster is voluntary. However, as of January 1, 2011, an interpreter cannot be paid from Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare unless the interpreter is on the Roster.
The Roster can be searched to show the names and expiration dates of all spoken language interpreters who have applied to be on the Roster, though some interpreters choose not to be available to be contacted to provide interpreting services. The Roster can also be searched by language and geographic area to find available interpreters. For available interpreters, the Roster also shows health care subject areas and specialty settings in which the interpreter may have work experience.
The information in the Roster is provided by each interpreter and has NOT been verified by the Minnesota Department of Health. At this time, an interpreter need not show any qualifications to be included on the Roster. Inclusion on the Roster is NOT evidence of being a "certified" health care interpreter.
Click on the links below to find Frequently Asked Questions about the Roster, how to complete searches, to apply to be in the Roster, renew and to change or update interpreter information.
It is your responsibility to keep a current email address on record with the Department of Health by updating your on-line interpreter profile. If your email address is not current, you will not receive a notice when your roster listing is about to expire. Nor will you receive periodic emails providing critical information about the practice of interpreting in Minnesota.
- Search for Interpreters
- Roster Applicant and Participant Notice
- Code of Ethics
- Roster Information: Frequently Asked Questions
- Apply to the Roster
- Renew Your Listing on the Roster
- Change or Update Your Information on the Roster
- Interpreter Roster Statute (MN Stat. 144.058)
- Interpreters paid through MnHCP Required to be on Roster (MN Stat. 256B.0625; see Subd. 18a)
- Information about National Certification of Healthcare Interpreters and to Learn if a Particular Interpreter is Nationally Certified
- Free Resources for Interpreters
- Contact Us