Institutional Review Board
As part of its overall commitment to protecting the privacy, well-being, and other rights of Minnesota citizens, the Minnesota Department of Health has established an Institutional Review Board (IRB), which provides the necessary review and approval process for department-sponsored research.
The Minnesota Department of Health IRB is registered with the federal Office of Human Research Protection. Our registration number is 00000945, and our federal-wide assurance number is 00000072.
MDH policies and procedures governing research involving human subjects (PDF)
Includes policies and procedures revised September 2010, plus appendices.
- Application for approval of research with human subjects (PDF)
- Re-review of previously approved research (PDF)
- Re-review of exempt research (PDF)
- Alternate language information - Minnesota Department of Administration
- Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 45: Public Welfare, Part 46: Protection of Human Subjects
- CDC: Distinguishing Public Health Research and Public Health Non-research (PDF)
- Human subject regulations decision charts
- Relevant provisions of the Data Practices Act (PDF)
- Tennessen warning
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Federal Drug Administration (FDA)
- Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP)
For more information: