Institutional Review Board
As part of its overall commitment to protecting the privacy, well-being, and other rights of Minnesota citizens, the Minnesota Department of Health has established an Institutional Review Board (IRB), which provides the necessary review and approval process for department-sponsored research.
The Minnesota Department of Health IRB is registered with the federal Office of Human Research Protection. Our registration number is 00000945, and our federalwide assurance number is 00000072.
MDH policies and procedures governing research involving human subjects (PDF: 3MB/95 pages)
Includes policies and procedures revised September 2010, plus appendices.
- Application for approval of research with human subjects (PDF: 132KB/8 pages)
- Re-review of previously approved research (PDF: 102KB/3 pages)
- Re-review of exempt research (PDF: 40.5KB/2 pages)
- Alternate language information - Minnesota Department of Administration
- Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 45: Public Welfare, Part 46: Protection of Human Subjects
- Public Health Practice vs. Research (PDF)
- CDC: Distinguishing Public Health Research and Public Health Nonresearch (PDF)
- Tips on informed consent
- Human subject regulations decision charts
- Informed consent checklist
- Informed consent guidance: obtaining and documenting informed consent of subjects who do not speak English
- Relevant provisions of the Data Practices Act (PDF: 114KB/12 pages)
- Tennessen warning
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Federal Drug Administration (FDA)
- Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP)
For more information: