Using Loansome Doc
The Loansome Doc ordering system enables searchers of PubMed to order journal articles from the Barr Library, Minnesota Department of Health (MDH). Employees of MDH, Minnesota local public health professionals, and Minnesota school nurses are welcome to use this service by registering with the Barr Library. Others may use Loansome Doc by contracting with other local health science libraries.
Please print out this page and then follow the instructions below as provided.
Loansome Doc Registering:
- Go to Loansome Doc.
- Select the Sign Up! link.
- Read through the registration steps and then click Get Started.
- Select your Country of Residence.
- Select Minnesota from the list of States/Provinces.
- Uncheck the Show only libraries that serve the general public option.
- Click the Search for Libraries button to display a list of potential Loansome Doc providers.
- Click the blue Select button next to the Minnesota Department of Health to have them serve as your Loansome Doc provider.
- Enter the information requested by your library and click the Continue button.
- Create your Login information by entering your email address.
- Create a password.
- Enter your address information, document delivery and ordering preferences and click Continue.
- Verify your information and click Complete Registration button.
Loansome Doc Ordering:
Outlined below are the steps involved in a Loansome Doc request starting with a PubMed search and ending with delivery of a copy of the requested document.
- Perform a literature search using PubMed.
- Click the check box to the left of the articles you want to order.
- From PubMed select 'Order' from the Send to pull down menu and click on Send to Order (or temporarily save your selections to the Clipboard by selecting 'Send to Clipboard' from the pull down menu on the PubMed features bar).
- Enter your Email Address and Password to enter Loansome Doc.
- Review orders. Sort citations and make sure that Minnesota Department of Health is the selected library.
- Deselect the check next to articles you do not wish to order.
- Click 'Proceed to Delivery Options' button.
- Review Delivery Options and make sure that the Max Cost per Article reads 0.00.
- Provide a ship deadline date if applicable.
- Make sure that the box before I have read and understood the Copyright Compliance is checked.
- Click the 'Continue' button.
- Review order, then click 'Send Order'.
- Your orders are then electronically sent to the Minnesota Department of Health.
- Staff at the Minnesota Department of Health (Barr Library) are notified of pending Loansome Doc requests. The requests are printed, processed, and updated as filled or not filled.
Loansome Doc Status Request Checking:
You may view the status of you Loansome Doc orders immediately after an order is sent. The Status page displays the request number, request date, the status of the order, status date, author(s), title of the article, citation, and the PMID (PubMed ID number).
To check the status of an order, go to Loansome Doc and log in using your e-mail address and password.
There are six possible Loansome Doc order status phrases:
- Pending - Not viewed by library
- Pending - Received by library
- Pending - Sent to another library
- Could not be filled
- Could not be filled - Request Expired.
Please call the Barr Library at 651-201-5093 if you have problems registering or ordering in Loansome Doc.
Updated 11/09 (Thanks to the National Library of Medicine for providing the help information above)