CSI - Duluth February 2, 2007

Meeting Summary

Members present: Andy Selvo, Larry Penk (temp. meeting chair), Barb Olson, Nancy Christenson, Darcy Miner, Jeri Cummins, Esther Gieschen, Jonathan Hill, Virda Hall, Geoffrey Ryan, Cindy Green, Pat Halverson. Brenda Lally, administrative support.

Members absent: Shane Roche (co-chair), Brian Carlson (co-chair), Heidi Brown.

Welcome, Introductions and Updates

The members introduced themselves and answered the question, “Since our last CSI-Duluth meeting in January, what questions or comments have people expressed to you about CSI-Duluth?”

The current members welcomed two new members, Pat Halverson (MDH Unit Supervisor), and Geoffrey Ryan (Administrator).

Darcy provided an update regarding the history of the statewide stakeholders group, the subsequent development of CSI-Duluth, and the significant value and progress CSI-Duluth has made since January 2005. The positive progress of this committee has required a high level of commitment from members to keep a group like this engaged. Information regarding MDH’s position on the development of a group similar to CSI-Duluth in any other district in the state was given.

She also provided an update regarding cross referencing issues and annual performance measures.

Esther provided information and brochures regarding the Dementia Conference Entitled, “A Meeting of the Minds”, being held at the St. Paul RiverCentre on March 24, 2007.

Jeri referenced documents that were developed by the Improved Communication and Education subcommittees in the early months of the work and progress of this committee. Many objectives of each subcommittee have been accomplished since that time. Members felt that these objectives and accomplishments should be reviewed and shared with the new members, since the transition into this committee’s third year of existence. These subcommittees will meet as part of the agenda at the next meeting.

Members discussed the topic of best practices. This had previously been discussed by the Education subcommittee. It had been agreed upon that surveyors and supervisors could give contact information of a facility who they considered to have good policies and procedures that may be helpful for another facility. Each facility would have the option of choosing to not share their information. MDH would not be responsible for the way in which a facility would choose to use the information.

Members continue to develop an article to be published in the Senior Reporter. It will include a recap of who we are, our history, and what we intend to accomplish in the northeast region. The final version be given to Larry Fortner for publication in the Senior Reporter.

There was discussion about the flexibility of dates of CSI-Duluth meetings in the summer months. Those currently scheduled dates may be modified.

There was discussion regarding vacancies on this committee. The initial process for inviting new members was given, with the goal of ensuring good regional representation. This group does need to have direct care staff representation on this committee.

Members determined that an important step for continued improved communication would be to develop an email to send to facilities, offering tips and suggestions to implement the necessary changes for the F329 requirements. Geoff will continue to develop this electronic message, and provide the draft for discussion at the next CSI-Duluth meeting.

The topic of developing a draft of a tip sheet for families to better empower families was also discussed.

Communication and Education Discussion

Recommendations for presenters for the CSI-Duluth regional training were discussed. It was decided that the presenter will be Jan Garard, R.N., Quality Improvement Coordinator for the Nursing Facility Rates and Policy Division of the Minnesota Department of Human Services. Her presentation is entitled, “Changing Your Behavior to Prevent Behavioral Symptoms”. Members will review this presentation, to determine if it will fulfill CSI-Duluth criteria, and if so, what should be the length of presentation.

During the meeting, members were informed that Jan Garard would be available for the dates of September 26-27, 2007. Members decided to schedule her presentation for the Regional Training for those dates.

There was lengthy group discussion regarding details which ensured that the prior two regional training sessions were successful. As this committee moves forward to the next regional training, members will look realistically at the amount of time commitment involved and all aspects of the process leading up to that training. Darcy informed members that there will be a lesser amount of time commitment from MDH committee members due to current budget. MDH committee members would present information regarding MDH’s position about regulations on behaviors. MDH will commit to coverage of the room fee.

Next Steps/Plan Agenda

An agenda for the next meeting was developed, which will include the continuation of the Improved Communication and Education small group work.

The next CSI-Duluth meeting will be held on March 2nd from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., with lunch provided. The location of the meeting will be the Government Services Center, 320 West Second Street, Room 406, Duluth.

Updated Friday, 04-May-2007 14:57:14 CDT