CSI - Duluth December 5, 2006

Meeting Summary

Members present Shane Roche (co-chair), Andy Selvo, Jeri Cummins, Gayle Wallin, Nikki Boder, Larry Penk, Cindy Green, Darcy Miner, Virda Hall, Jonathan Hill. Brenda Lally, administrative support.

Members absent: Brian Carlson (co-chair), Marilyn Abrahamson, Stephanie Jost, Heidi Brown, Barb Olson, Diane Strongitharm, Diane Pearson, Jodi Johnson.

Welcome, Introductions and Updates

The members introduced themselves and answered the question, “Since our last CSI-Duluth meeting in October, what questions or comments have people expressed to you about CSI-Duluth?”

The current members welcomed a new member, Jonathan Hill (Director of Nursing).

Members who were not at the CSI-Duluth meeting in October were given the opportunity to state whether they would chose to transition at the end of this two year term, or continue into the third term.

Shane Roche extended a thank you to every member of this committee for their participation, hard work, and important contributions toward the many accomplishments of CSI-Duluth in 2006, and ultimately to the benefit of seniors that each member serves.

A specific agenda for this meeting had not been developed. Members felt that an agenda is necessary for subsequent meetings.

There was discussion regarding the dynamics and current vacancies of this committee and the length of time it may take to bring this committee up to speed with the addition of new members. Suggestions were made about interested and potential candidates to fill the vacant slots on this committee. The process for inviting new members was mentioned, with the goal of ensuring good regional representation. Members will contact candidates that were mentioned, to determine candidate’s level of interest in becoming a member of this committee.

Members decided that this committee will continue to meet on a monthly basis, with the plan of continuing to work on an educational training session. Members felt that consideration should be given to conduct this training in April 2007. Length of time for the training session was discussed.

The development of assessment tools and guide for facilities to use as reference materials continues to be in progress. There was much discussion about the best way in which to put the information into practice. It is the intent of the committee to follow through on the commitment to provide this reference material to facilities.

It is very important that everyone is aware that CSI-Duluth is continuing to make progress according to our group charge.

Improved Communication and Education subcommittee members will remain in the same groups as in 2006.

The Survey Communications video will be sent to administrators and directors of nursing, dated December 14th. It will be accompanied by a cover letter signed by Commissioner Mandernach. CSI-Duluth members decided that it is important to send an email to regional administrators and directors of nursing, to indicate that this video has been reviewed and endorsed by this committee. It will be a beneficial and useful tool for staff and family, and it has good discussion points for the family as they go through this process. Shane will send an email from the CSI-Duluth committee.

Darcy provided an update regarding MDH’s position on the development of a group similar to CSI-Duluth in any other district in the state. The question was raised at the last long term care stakeholders meeting. The Commissioner stated that it is obvious that there would be value in this. It was determined that such a committee would need to be a combined effort of providers and the L & C team in any other region.

There was discussion about an article published in The Senior Reporter. Members felt that the quotes contained misinformation. Members felt that the writer does need to be given some updated information about not only this group, but about some of the latest facts as well as the website link for CSI-Duluth. Members discussed options for a response. Members agreed to develop a very positive article to include a recap of who we are, our history, and what we intend to accomplish in the northeast region, so there would be a first hand understanding of the importance and continued progress of this committee. After discussion, it was decided that Larry will contact Larry Fortner to determine if he would be willing to publish the article that this committee does choose for print. If he is agreeable to doing this, Shane and Darcy will work on a couple of drafts for articles to publish.

It was brought to the attention of the committee that there was some concern about the current schedule of the CSI-Duluth meetings, and the possibility of the meeting being changed to a different day of the week (Monday or Friday) to better accommodate CSI-Duluth member schedules. Each member was given the opportunity to state their opinion as to whether or not a change should be considered. It was determined that meetings will continue to be held monthly, the next meeting date/location would remain as scheduled for the January meeting, and the possibility for a change of meeting dates/location would be discussed at the January 16th meeting.

Next Steps/Plan Agenda

An agenda for the January 19th meeting will be developed, which will include continuing work on the Education project.

As of today’s meeting, the CSI-Duluth meetings will continue to be held on the third Tuesday of each month, from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., with lunch provided – subsequent meeting dates/location subject to change. The location of the January meeting will be the Government Services Center, 320 West Second Street, Room 406, Duluth.

These dates for 2007 are:

  • January 16
  • February 20
  • March 20
  • April 17
  • May 15
  • June 19
  • July 17
  • August 21
  • September 18
  • October 16
  • November 20
  • December 18
Updated Tuesday, 16-Nov-2010 12:31:34 CST