September 29, 2016
Public health advocates honored for leadership, service at Community Health Awards event
Minnesota’s public health community gathered Wednesday night to honor seven individuals and one group for outstanding contributions to public health in Minnesota. The ceremony took place in conjunction with Minnesota’s annual Community Health Conference.
The Community Health Awards are presented annually by the Minnesota Department of Health and the State Community Health Services Committee. Awards are presented for leadership, impact on reducing health inequities, dedication to serving the community and more. The awards were presented by Minnesota Health Commissioner Dr. Ed Ehlinger.
“Minnesota’s public health community has so many dedicated professionals, elected officials and volunteers who deserve recognition,” said Commissioner Ehlinger. “It’s my great honor to present these awards to a group of people who are advancing public health in Minnesota.”
The 2016 Community Health Award recipients include:
- Laurel Hoff, director of Anoka County Community Health and Environmental Services, Anoka (Jim Parker Leadership Award)
- Karen Swenson, director of Brown-Nicollet Environmental Health, St. Peter (Jack Korlath Partnership Award)
- Luann Reif, professor, College of St. Benedict/St. John’s University, Collegeville (Commissioner's Award for Distinguished Service in Community Health Services)
- Nate Sandman, associate director of the Human Services Division of the Fond Du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, Cloquet (Lou Fuller Award for Distinguished Service in Eliminating Health Disparities)
- Rosemary Schultz, Jackson County Commissioner/Des Moines Valley Community Health Board member, Lakefield (Award for Outstanding Dedication to Local Public Health)
- Chris J. Johnson, Minnesota Department of Health, St. Paul (Certificate of Recognition)
- Stearns County Health Protection and Promotion Unit, St. Cloud (Certificate of Recognition)
- Sara Chute, Minnesota Department of Health, St. Paul (Certificate of Recognition)
For more information on the awards: Community Health Awards