September 28, 2017
Minnesota public health advocates honored
Minnesota public health advocates honored for their leadership, impact, and service at Community Health Awards Ceremony on Sept. 27
Minnesota’s public health community honored six people and two groups for outstanding contributions to public health in Minnesota at a Wednesday night awards ceremony held in conjunction with the annual Community Health Conference in the Brainerd area.
Every year, award recipients are nominated by their peers and selected by the State Community Health Services Advisory Committee for leadership, work to improve health and reduce health inequities, dedication to serving the community, and more. Health Commissioner Dr. Ed Ehlinger presented the awards.
“Each of us has a role to play in improving the health of our communities and our state, and these recipients have made great contributions toward those goals,” Commissioner Ehlinger said. “It’s a great honor to present these awards, which recognize the passion and dedication of Minnesota’s public health professionals, elected officials, and volunteers.”
The 2017 Community Health Award recipients include:
- Cindy Pederson, director, Wadena County Public Health, Wadena (Jim Parker Leadership Award)
- Cynthia Hickman, epidemiologist, Minnesota Department of Health, St. Paul (Jack Korlath Partnership Award)
- Mary Heckman, deputy director, Goodhue County Health and Human Services, Red Wing (Commissioner's Award for Distinguished Service in Community Health Services)
- Anne Walaszek, health programs manager, American Indian Cancer Foundation, Minneapolis (Lou Fuller Award for Distinguished Service in Eliminating Health Disparities)
- Susan Morris, Isanti County commissioner, Cambridge (Award for Outstanding Dedication to Local Public Health)
- Marna Canterbury, director, Lakeview Health Foundation, Stillwater (Certificate of Recognition)
- Food, Lodging and Pools Division, Minneapolis Health Department, Minneapolis (Certificate of Recognition)
- C.A.R.E. Clinic Volunteers, Red Wing (Certificate of Recognition)
More information is available online at Community Health Awards.